No cup upset for March Town Ladies as Cambridge United Ladies hit double figures in Cambs Invitation Cup
- Credit: Archant
It was a fixture that had all the promise of a classic cup upset - but unfortunately for March Town Ladies, there was no Roy of the Rovers result in their David vs. Goliath fixture with Cambridge United Ladies.
The Hares, who have enjoyed an excellent season in the Cambs Womens Championship North Division, were comprehensively beaten 12-0 by the U’s side, who ply their trade in the Women’s Premier League South-East Division.
March kept United at bay in the early stages thanks to some wonderful saves from player-of-the-match Tori Sharpe, but the floodgates soon opened and Cambridge wracked up double figures to send the local lasses out of the Cambs Invitation Cup.
But, despite their heavy defeat, boss Gary Davis was left brimming with pride for his side.
He said: “I learnt a lot about the character of my team today.
You may also want to watch:
“Not many teams at grassroots get the opportunity to play against opponents from the third tier of ladies football.”
March will look to get back to winning ways when they take on Boston United on Sunday.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit