No cup upset for March Town Ladies as Cambridge United Ladies hit double figures in Cambs Invitation Cup
- Credit: Archant
It was a fixture that had all the promise of a classic cup upset - but unfortunately for March Town Ladies, there was no Roy of the Rovers result in their David vs. Goliath fixture with Cambridge United Ladies.
The Hares, who have enjoyed an excellent season in the Cambs Womens Championship North Division, were comprehensively beaten 12-0 by the U’s side, who ply their trade in the Women’s Premier League South-East Division.
March kept United at bay in the early stages thanks to some wonderful saves from player-of-the-match Tori Sharpe, but the floodgates soon opened and Cambridge wracked up double figures to send the local lasses out of the Cambs Invitation Cup.
But, despite their heavy defeat, boss Gary Davis was left brimming with pride for his side.
He said: “I learnt a lot about the character of my team today.
“Not many teams at grassroots get the opportunity to play against opponents from the third tier of ladies football.”
March will look to get back to winning ways when they take on Boston United on Sunday.
- 1 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 8 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
- 9 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 10 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman