No cup upset for March Town Ladies as Cambridge United Ladies hit double figures in Cambs Invitation Cup
- Credit: Archant
It was a fixture that had all the promise of a classic cup upset - but unfortunately for March Town Ladies, there was no Roy of the Rovers result in their David vs. Goliath fixture with Cambridge United Ladies.
The Hares, who have enjoyed an excellent season in the Cambs Womens Championship North Division, were comprehensively beaten 12-0 by the U’s side, who ply their trade in the Women’s Premier League South-East Division.
March kept United at bay in the early stages thanks to some wonderful saves from player-of-the-match Tori Sharpe, but the floodgates soon opened and Cambridge wracked up double figures to send the local lasses out of the Cambs Invitation Cup.
But, despite their heavy defeat, boss Gary Davis was left brimming with pride for his side.
He said: “I learnt a lot about the character of my team today.
You may also want to watch:
“Not many teams at grassroots get the opportunity to play against opponents from the third tier of ladies football.”
March will look to get back to winning ways when they take on Boston United on Sunday.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 9 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack