No More Bets player makes March GER pub proud with England Darts Organisation’s National Men’s Singles title
- Credit: Archant
A police officer who plays his darts at a March pub has become a national champion.
Steve Carrett, 56, of Nordelph, who turns out for GER team No More Bets, beat George Killington 7-6 in a thrilling final to clinch the England Darts Organisation National Men’s Singles crown at Hull Arena.
The win qualifies him for the British Darts Organisation World Masters in September and World Matchplay in October.
Carrett said: “It is the biggest win of my career. I knew if I play how I could I would go a fair distance, at least to the quarter final.
“In the semi final I played against Dennis Harbour, who I play with for Wisbech in the super league. He’s number one in the county so I knew what he was capable of. I got the best of him, winning 6-1. I’ve not done badly for someone who first picked up a set of darts 10 years ago.”
Carrett says he will practice every day in the lead up to the World Masters and is relishing the prospect of potentially being pitted against a world champion.
He said: “Whoever I play against, and it could be a world champion, doesn’t bother me as long as I play my game and don’t look too far forward.”
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 8 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
Carrett has been overwhelmed by the response of friends and family to the news of his triumph.
He said: “The reaction I’ve got has been tremendous, absolutely brilliant. The support I’ve received is second to none.
“But I’m keeping my feet firmly on the ground. I’ve got to concentrate and practice.”
The Annual General Meeting of the North Witchford Darts League takes place at 8pm on Tuesday, August 5 at Parkfield, Wimblington.
All teams should be represented and new teams can also contact league secretary Mark Cross on 07790 845456 or e-mail email@example.com.
Entries are welcomed from teams who wish to participate in a Friday night darts league, covering March, Chatteris and the surrounding villages.
March Friday Night Summer Darts League Group A: GER Posh Canaries 8 Cock Inn 4; Crown (Outwell) 6 Rose & Crown 6. Group B:
GER Souls 11 Little London 1; Five Alls 0 No More Bets 12; Braza 10 Ladybirds 2. Group C: GER M & M’s 4 Parkfield 8; One Vision 10 GER Outsiders 2.