NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: 36-goal Craig Gillies is a wanted man, says Chatteris Town boss Ashley Taylor
- Credit: Archant
Manager Ashley Taylor has admitted Chatteris Town will struggle to hold on to star striker Craig Gillies during the summer.
The Lilies hot-shot took his goal-scoring tally to 36 - scored in as many games - in Chatteris’ 2-1 win over Hemingfords United on Saturday, and Taylor says clubs higher up the non-league ladder have been in contact about securing his signature this summer.
“Craig has been exceptional this season and we are really going to struggle to keep hold of him,” Taylor said.
“We have had teams more than three levels above us approaching him already. He has been a fantastic servant to this football club and I know he enjoys his football here and sees the journey we are taking but no-one will stand in his way if he leaves.”
The Liles travel to Fulbourn Institute this Saturday (3pm), knowing a win is vital if they are to finish their Kershaw Premier Division campaign in the top five.
You may also want to watch:
West Wratting and Fulbourn are breathing down the Lilies’ necks – with both sides four points behind – and Taylor says his side must be fully focused if they are to extend their advantage in fifth.
“We know how difficult the challenge is getting points away at Fulbourn,” he said.
- 1 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 2 Long-serving work couple leaving Fens for Nigeria to build care home
- 3 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 5 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 6 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 7 Primary school joins laureate's £100m-a-year bid to boost libraries
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- 10 March Town United in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
“We beat them 6-0 at home earlier in the season so they are going to be really up for the game. We need to go into the game fully focused, motivated and with a clear idea of what we need to do to win.”