NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Boss Max Flintoft full of praise for Whittlesey Athletic Reserves after dramatic North Cambs Junior Cup triumph
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey Athletic boss Max Flintoft couldn’t hide his pride for his players after they sealed North Cambs Junior Cup glory in dramatic style last night.
The local lads secured the silverware thanks to a 119th-minute winner after the opening 90 minutes of their clash with Chatteris Town Reserves had finished goalless.
Robert Hambidge gave Whittlesey the edge in extra-time but the Lilies’ second-string fired back with 10 minutes to play through Matthew Walshe.
And when penalties were looming, Ricky Hailstone fired home to hand Flintoft’s men a dramatic win at Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium.
“First things first, a massive credit goes to Chatteris Town Reserves,” Flintoft said.
“They battled until the end and deserve so much credit.
“I am so proud of our boys. All their hard work has paid off and they thoroughly deserve all of the credit they’ve been given.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 3 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 4 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 8 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 10 Princess Royal drops into Citizens Advice centre in the Fens
“The squad we have is unbelievable and that showed in the changes we made.
“As I have said before, this is the best group of lads I have been involved with in football and I can’t praise them enough.”
Flintoft has now turned his attentions back towards Whittlesey’s quest for promotion to the Premier Division of the Peterborough & District Football League.
His side host Long Sutton Athletic on Saturday afternoon (2pm).
“We’ll enjoy the moment but our focus is now back into fighting for promotion back to the Premier Division where we belong,” he said.