NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Chatteris Town wonderkid Matthew Walshe praised by boss
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town boss Ashley Taylor has heaped praise on another of the club’s young talents after he had a starring role in the Lilies’ most recent Kershaw Premier Division victory.
The Lilies tied up their second straight league win with a routine 3-0 win over Foxton on Saturday thanks to a double from Craig Gillies and a debut goal from 17-year-old Matthew Walshe.
The youngster also set up Gillies for his second goal, and Taylor believes he has a bright future ahead of him.
“What a debut for the young lad,” he said.
“He scored with his first touch and set up our third goal. It was a great debut but I told him afterwards that the hard work starts now.”
Saturday was also Taylor’s last home game as Lilies manager, and he was pleased to go out on a high.
“Our home record has been good since I took over and it was good to see a lot of fans supporting us for our last home game,” he said.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 5 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 6 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 9 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 10 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
“It was nice to go out with a 3-0 win.”
The Lilies travel to Linton Granta on Saturday afternoon (3pm).