NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Chatteris Town wonderkid Matthew Walshe praised by boss
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town boss Ashley Taylor has heaped praise on another of the club’s young talents after he had a starring role in the Lilies’ most recent Kershaw Premier Division victory.
The Lilies tied up their second straight league win with a routine 3-0 win over Foxton on Saturday thanks to a double from Craig Gillies and a debut goal from 17-year-old Matthew Walshe.
The youngster also set up Gillies for his second goal, and Taylor believes he has a bright future ahead of him.
“What a debut for the young lad,” he said.
“He scored with his first touch and set up our third goal. It was a great debut but I told him afterwards that the hard work starts now.”
You may also want to watch:
Saturday was also Taylor’s last home game as Lilies manager, and he was pleased to go out on a high.
“Our home record has been good since I took over and it was good to see a lot of fans supporting us for our last home game,” he said.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 4 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 5 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 6 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 7 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 10 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
“It was nice to go out with a 3-0 win.”
The Lilies travel to Linton Granta on Saturday afternoon (3pm).