NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: March Town relishing the FA Vase challenge after prevailing on penalties in KO Cup clash
- Credit: Archant
March Town boss Mel Mattless has called for support ahead of a big occasion at the GER on Saturday.
The Hares entertain higher-level Peterborough Northern Star in the opening round of the FA Vase.
And Mattless is hopeful his young side can cause a shock after an encouraging start to the Thurlow Nunn League First Division season.
The Hares suffered just a second league loss when being beaten 2-0 at Whitton last weekend.
“The FA Vase is a big competition and everyone looks forward to being involved in it,” said Mattless.
You may also want to watch:
“Having a good run in it creates a real buzz and the prize money is a massive thing for clubs at our level.
“Hopefully plenty of people will come out and get behind in what looks a really tough test against a Step 5 team.”
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 5 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 6 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 9 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
March made progress in another knockout competition last night (Tuesday) when coming through a Thurlow Nunn League First Division KO Cup penalty shoot-out.
They beat Needham Market Reserves 4-2 from the spot after a 2-2 deadlock.
The Hares – under the guidance of reserve chief Ashton Hodgson with Mattless and assistant Roy Brand both away – recovered from being 2-0 down thanks to strikes from Toby Allen and a Max Mattless equaliser.
Goalkeeper Dave Beeny then took centre stage with two vital saves in the shoot-out.