NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town return was a ‘special day,’ says Burnley striker Harry Limb
- Credit: Archant
It proved to be a happy homecoming – and birthday - for former Wisbech Town striker Harry Limb.
The youngster, now of Premier League Burnley, found the net on his return to the Elgoods Fenland Stadium as his new side edged Wisbech 2-1 in a friendly fixture on Tuesday evening.
The summer fixture was organised as part of the deal that saw Limb, then 17, make the switch to Turf Moor back in February and the striker – who also celebrated his 18th birthday on Tuesday – says that seeing the old faces that helped him secure his big move was an emotional moment.
“It was a great feeling to be back at Wisbech,” he said.
“It’s a great club that was really good to me. To see everyone there on my birthday too; it was a special day that I won’t forget.”
You may also want to watch:
Limb steered in the opening goal in the Clarets’ 2-1 success and the former Boston United hotshot says he had no problem in contributing to a defeat for his former club, and has tipped them to enjoy a successful UCL Premier Division campaign.
“I’m a striker – it’s my job to score goals,” he said.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
“So whether it’s against an old club or not it’s always a good feeling. Wisbech have made a few changes to the team and look very strong this season.
“In my opinion they’re big contenders for the title this year and I wish them all the best in that.”
Limb struck 22 goals for Wisbech during his season-long spell and the youngster looks to have continued that form into pre-season with three goals in as many matches – form which earned him his first senior Burnley start in a friendly fixture with National League North outfit Alfreton last month.
“Making my debut was a proud moment for my family and I and one I didn’t expect to come so soon,” he said.
“I was nervous before coming on but once I was on the pitch I felt comfortable and I think I did well once I was on.”
Limb is expected to start tonight when Burnley’s development side take on Norwich City U23s at the Canaries’ Colney Training Centre.
Wisbech, meanwhile, travel to Biggleswade FC in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup tomorrow afternoon (3pm).