Not a yacht of people know that Fenland’s Rhys Davies is bidding for a British title hat-trick
WHEN a teenage Rhys Davies sped across the beach in a land yacht for the first time, he knew he had discovered his sport.
More than two decades later, the 37-year-old from March is still passionate about racing - and now he is looking to become a British Champion for the third time.
Davies, who represents Anglia Land Yacht Club, has been competing at a national level since 1990.
He has become one of the country’s leading competitors in the minority sport, which sees three-wheeled vehicles with sails race at speeds of more than 50mph - powered purely by the wind.
Davies said: “I was sporty at school. I played a bit of rugby and all the rest of it. “But at the age of 13, to get your hands on a land yacht and career up the beach at speeds of 30 or 40mph was just brilliant.
“That was when the bug got me.”
Davies, who has competed in European and World Championships, won the British Land Yacht Championships in 2007 and 2010 in the standart class.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 6 Happy Hares boss confident more progress is yet to come
- 7 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 10 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
He is currently top of the standings in this year’s championships, with three events completed.
“The over-riding aim is to win my third championship,” he said. “It would just be amazing to have three.
“It has got a lot more competitive in the last couple of years so it’s now even more of a challenge.”
Davies, who teaches at Kingsfield Primary School, in Chatteris, won both races in the final of Anglia Land Yacht Club’s Winter Series on Sunday.
He said: “Out of four classes at the British Championships event last month our club took three, so there is some real talent here.
“We have got a small membership, but it’s a very good membership.”
For more information on the club, which is based at Bassingbourn Barracks, near Royston, visit: www.anglialandsailing.co.uk