Not a yacht of people know that Fenland’s Rhys Davies is bidding for a British title hat-trick
WHEN a teenage Rhys Davies sped across the beach in a land yacht for the first time, he knew he had discovered his sport.
More than two decades later, the 37-year-old from March is still passionate about racing - and now he is looking to become a British Champion for the third time.
Davies, who represents Anglia Land Yacht Club, has been competing at a national level since 1990.
He has become one of the country’s leading competitors in the minority sport, which sees three-wheeled vehicles with sails race at speeds of more than 50mph - powered purely by the wind.
Davies said: “I was sporty at school. I played a bit of rugby and all the rest of it. “But at the age of 13, to get your hands on a land yacht and career up the beach at speeds of 30 or 40mph was just brilliant.
You may also want to watch:
“That was when the bug got me.”
Davies, who has competed in European and World Championships, won the British Land Yacht Championships in 2007 and 2010 in the standart class.
- 1 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
- 2 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Organisers plan for low-key return of Chatteris Midsummer Festival
- 5 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 6 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 7 Salon owner grateful to be 'back doing what I love'
- 8 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 9 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 10 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
He is currently top of the standings in this year’s championships, with three events completed.
“The over-riding aim is to win my third championship,” he said. “It would just be amazing to have three.
“It has got a lot more competitive in the last couple of years so it’s now even more of a challenge.”
Davies, who teaches at Kingsfield Primary School, in Chatteris, won both races in the final of Anglia Land Yacht Club’s Winter Series on Sunday.
He said: “Out of four classes at the British Championships event last month our club took three, so there is some real talent here.
“We have got a small membership, but it’s a very good membership.”
For more information on the club, which is based at Bassingbourn Barracks, near Royston, visit: www.anglialandsailing.co.uk