Not a yacht of people know that Fenland’s Rhys Davies is bidding for a British title hat-trick
WHEN a teenage Rhys Davies sped across the beach in a land yacht for the first time, he knew he had discovered his sport.
More than two decades later, the 37-year-old from March is still passionate about racing - and now he is looking to become a British Champion for the third time.
Davies, who represents Anglia Land Yacht Club, has been competing at a national level since 1990.
He has become one of the country’s leading competitors in the minority sport, which sees three-wheeled vehicles with sails race at speeds of more than 50mph - powered purely by the wind.
Davies said: “I was sporty at school. I played a bit of rugby and all the rest of it. “But at the age of 13, to get your hands on a land yacht and career up the beach at speeds of 30 or 40mph was just brilliant.
You may also want to watch:
“That was when the bug got me.”
Davies, who has competed in European and World Championships, won the British Land Yacht Championships in 2007 and 2010 in the standart class.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
He is currently top of the standings in this year’s championships, with three events completed.
“The over-riding aim is to win my third championship,” he said. “It would just be amazing to have three.
“It has got a lot more competitive in the last couple of years so it’s now even more of a challenge.”
Davies, who teaches at Kingsfield Primary School, in Chatteris, won both races in the final of Anglia Land Yacht Club’s Winter Series on Sunday.
He said: “Out of four classes at the British Championships event last month our club took three, so there is some real talent here.
“We have got a small membership, but it’s a very good membership.”
For more information on the club, which is based at Bassingbourn Barracks, near Royston, visit: www.anglialandsailing.co.uk