Olympians in town
AN OLYMPIC bronze medallist and a five-time world champion will be passing on their experience to young swimmers at Whittlesey s Manor Leisure Centre next week. International stars Steve Parry and James Hickman will be making a special appearance at a tal
AN OLYMPIC bronze medallist and a five-time world champion will be passing on their experience to young swimmers at Whittlesey's Manor Leisure Centre next week.
International stars Steve Parry and James Hickman will be making a special appearance at a talent development camp, in which the top 72 young swimmers in Cambridgeshire will take part.
The camp is designed for girls aged 10 to 13 years old and boys aged 10 to 14 years old, and both Parry and Hickman will be giving the youngsters tips and an idea of what it is like to be a professional swimmer.
Tutors from Anglia Ruskin University will also attend to offer advice on how to balance a demanding training programme with school and other life commitments.
The camp is run by Living Sport, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough's County Sports Partnership, in partnership with Cambridgeshire Amateur Swimming Association.
It will provide children with additional experience and training in preparation for county and regional championships that take place later on this year in Cambridgeshire and Norwich.
- 1 Three March locals win £30k each on Postcode Lottery
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 4 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 5 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 6 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 7 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 10 Man repeatedly stabbed nine-year-old boy in 'random attack'
The camp takes place on Saturday, February 17 and Sunday, February 18 and will be followed by a second similar event at the Manor Leisure Centre on April 21 and 22.
Rebecca Gilbertson, swimming development officer for Living Sport, is hoping to develop more top-class swimmers in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. She said: "I'm very excited to have two of the best British swimmers come to Cambridgeshire to work with youngsters in the county.
"Camps like these help us to identify local talent and support them to achieve their best - we could very well be looking at some of our next Olympians."
For more, call Rebecca Gilbertson at Living Sport on 01487 849921.