Packing a punch for boxing in March
- Credit: Archant
A 25 year old woman has won her first boxing bout after training with a March boxing club that offers sessions for fun and fitness as well as competitive sport.
Katie Edwards, who trains with March ABC, won her first match by unanimous decision at the RAF Wyton show.
She was competing against Daniele Hyde from York Boxing Club.
Rafal Tichanow said: “Although it was Katie’s debut she showed good boxing skills, patience and ring craft.
“Her powerful punches impressed the public and other coaches and in the opinion of many people present it was the best contest of the night.”
You may also want to watch:
March ABC, in Century Way, offers a focus for the community and is accessible to everyone.
It works in co-operation with Neale-Wade to run an after school club for students and is also involved at the annual cricket festival where they provide boxing.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 6 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 7 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 8 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 9 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 10 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
Rafal said: “There is plenty of female participation within the club not only with competitive boxers, but also women who train for fun and fitness.”
It is also involved in regional events and on Friday April 15 the club hosts its dinner boxing show at the Braza Club in Station Road.
The show includes Eastern area elite male senior finals as well as club boxers competing.
One of the Eastern county finals includes March boxer Charlie Stevens who was successful as a schoolboy and junior winning five national titles. March Boxing Club will be represented by other boxers who will match their skills against those from across the country.
Patsy Smith, current national female junior champion and Joe Steed, who was a national junior champion in the previous season, will box as a senior for the first time.
Other boxers to represent the club will be brothers Acer, 12, and Tarley Smith, 11.
Mark Smith, 11, will look for his second victory. Robert Tanner, 13, will aim for success after a couple of split decision defeats.
Experienced boxer Regan Lazenby, 16, quarter finalist of national championships three seasons in the row, will also fight.
Standing tickets are still available on the day on the door for £10.