Paralympic star Cundy to bag at least world championships silver after phenomenal 4km pursuit debut
PARALYMPIC star Jody Cundy is guaranteed at least a silver medal in tonight’s world championships 4km pursuit final.
32-year-old Cundy is already double world and paralympic champion in the 1km time trial (kilo) and men’s team sprint discipline. However, this is his first ever attempt at the pursuit.
The Walpole St Andrew star, who enjoyed phenomenal success as a swimmer before switching to cycling, will race Czech Jiri Jezek in tonight’s final at the velodrome in Montichiari, Italy.
Cundy said: “I’m really pleased with my ride this morning - it was a 20-second personal best and I’ve got a guaranteed silver. It’s a great start to the Worlds!”
The inspirational star will attempt to retain his gold medal in the kilo tomorrow and the team sprint on Sunday as he chases success on three fronts at the UCI Para-Cycling Track World Championships.
You may also want to watch:
He told the Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard yesterday: “Ever since I came onto the scene I’ve been a big target but I relish that. It makes me continue to push myself to the next level, race quicker and try and keep one step ahead.
“Losing is never great for any sportsman but this new discipline is a fresh challenge for me. The endurance training seems to be helping in every aspect, including the kilo.”
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 5 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
Visit this website tomorrow to keep up to date with Cundy’s progress.