Park Ladies’ FA Cup dream is shattered by rampant higher-level Northampton Town
- Credit: Archant
Park Ladies’ FA Cup clash with Northampton Town Ladies had all the ingredients for a David vs. Goliath encounter - but this one didn’t go to plan for the Wimblington-based side.
The local ladies from Fenland welcomed the giants of Northampton on Saturday, but there was no fairy tale ending or ‘cupset’ as the visitors ran out 14-0 victors.
The gulf in class between the sides, who play a division apart, was plain to see as Park were hit by three quick-fire goals in the opening 15 minutes.
Northampton’s pressure was relentless and they continued to find the net with ease against a disheartened and shell-shocked Park outfit.
The hosts found themselves 10-0 down at half time, and despite producing a determined second half performance, conceded four more in the second period.
Park boss, Rob Mitchell, took the opportunity to thank the bumper crowd that turned out for the clash at Parkfield.
He said: “The team can only apologise and say thank you to the excellent crowd that turned out to cheer them. We promise to put it right next week.”
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 9 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
Park will look to bounce back in their first S-Tech Women’s Premiership game of the season against Bar Hill on Saturday.