Improved performance proves too little, too late for Park Ladies in Cambs League defeat
- Credit: Archant
An improved second-half display proved little for Park Ladies as they fell to their first defeat of the season at the weekend.
The Wimblington-based team struggled to break down their opponents in a 2-1 home defeat to Eaton Socon Ladies in the Championship North Division of the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League on Sunday, September 27.
As the contest was fought in midfield, the visitors broke the deadlock on 35 minutes after a right-wing pass was shot low towards goal, before the rebound was tucked home after the shot struck a post.
Substitutes Sophie Fenner and Sherrie Downey made an immediate impact for Park from the bench, which led to the equaliser.
Fenner’s bursting run and shot was spilt by the goalkeeper, allowing Downey to finish from close-range on 50 minutes.
However, a misplaced header from Park enabled the Eagles to finish a one-on-one 15 minutes later and secure their second league victory of the season.
Player of the match: Fran Plitsch.
- 1 Three March locals win £30k each on Postcode Lottery
- 2 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 5 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Man repeatedly stabbed nine-year-old boy in 'random attack'
- 9 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 10 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
Next up for Park is a league cup match against Isleham United Ladies at Parkfield Sports Club on Sunday, October 4, 2pm.