Villagers stage cup comeback to record derby upset
- Credit: Park Ladies FC
Park Ladies came from behind to beat higher-league opposition in a league cup derby.
After a slow start, the villagers stormed back to win 4-2 against Leverington Ladies at Parkfield on Sunday and top Group D in the process.
Georgia Stimson levelled after driving forward from a Fran Plitsch pass, before the latter finished an assist from Teagan Pulman to take a 2-1 lead.
Plitsch was unlucky not to score another after rounding the goalkeeper, but she was forced wide and unable to divert her shot on target.
Stimson then added her second before half-time to earn Park a two-goal cushion.
Leverington hit back with several corners, but the Wimblington side were rewarded with a fourth as Plitsch picked her spot to make it 4-1.
The Cambridgeshire Women’s County League Division One visitors were handed a lifeline from the penalty spot to set up a tense final 10 minutes.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 4 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 5 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 6 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 7 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 10 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
But Park held on, and next go to Swavesey Spartans in Division Two of the Cambs League this Sunday, 11am.