Pepper’s hat-trick helps March Town United bounce back in style

Ridgeons Division One: Cambridge University Press 1 March Town United 5

A HAT-TRICK from March Town United skipper Luke Pepper helped the Hares bounce back from last week’s miserable defeat by thrashing table-toppers Cambridge University Press 5-1.

March had gone behind early on, but an equalising own goal on the stroke of half-time proved to be the turning point.

The inspired Hares ran riot in the second half, with Pepper’s three goals - including two headers - and a Denny Escorcio strike securing a crushing victory.

Hat-trick hero Pepper said: “It was the best half of football we have put together this season - we were all over them.

“Everything came together today. The first goal rocked us a bit but after that we got back into it. The second half was a no contest.

“Last Saturday we weren’t at the races at all, we just didn’t turn up. That’s the frustrating thing about us because on our day we are up there with the best teams in the league.

Most Read

“I think because we had been on a nice little run we went in a bit complacent last week. We got what we deserved but we bounced back really well today. All 11 players all over the pitch were brilliant.”

Things had looked ominous for the vistors as league leaders Cambridge University Press took the advantage with 20 minutes played.

But the Hares quickly began to assert themselves and they were level just before half time, when an opposition defender diverted Ash Brand’s cross into his own net.

In a one-sided second half, it was March who looked like the title challengers.

They took the lead when Pepper brought down a cross-field ball from Brand to fire home his first of the day.

The same combination provided March with a third, as Brand’s free kick was met by Pepper, who directed his free header into the top corner.

The skipper’s hat-trick, completed within half an hour, was sealed with another header when he met Escorcio’s right wing cross to put the Hares 4-1 up.

And Escorcio himself capped off the victory, tapping into an open net after Andy Bryan had seen his lob come back off the bar.

A magnificent day for March was underlined by the reserves who won 1-0 at home to Elsworth Sports.

A stunning strike from Lee White was enough to net them their fourth consecutive win.