Perfect start for rugby league in Fenland as Foxes power to debut victory
RUGBY League in Fenland got off to the perfect start on Saturday as the region’s first side waltzed to victory against their West Norfolk rivals.
The Fenland Foxes - who held their first training session earlier this month - beat fellow newcomers West Norfolk Wildcats 38-16 in a morale-boosting friendly at Harecroft Road.
James Napier had the honour of scoring the Foxes’ first ever try, as the speedy full back crashed through the Norfolk defence for an early score.
Dogged defence from loose forward Tom Martell set the platform for more attacking play from the Foxes and tries from Will Pettit, Andy McCubbin, Billy Yorke, John Turner and captain Andy Claydon powered them into a commanding lead.
Napier grabbed his second of the game and Sam Anderson kicked three goals as the Wildcats’ three tries proved nothing more than consolations.
You may also want to watch:
Foxes coach Ash Howlett said: “The guys played really well for a group of players new to the game - the whole team impressed on debut.
“I hope both teams enjoyed the experience and with the players they have I expect the Foxes to kick on from here.
- 1 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 2 Long-serving work couple leaving Fens for Nigeria to build care home
- 3 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 5 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 6 Primary school joins laureate's £100m-a-year bid to boost libraries
- 7 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 8 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- 9 March Town United in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
“A rugby league team in the region is long overdue. For me, the result is great but I am happiest to see the sport being played in the region.”
The Foxes will look for a repeat performance when the sides meet for a second friendly on June 5 at Harecroft Road.