Perfect start for rugby league in Fenland as Foxes power to debut victory
RUGBY League in Fenland got off to the perfect start on Saturday as the region’s first side waltzed to victory against their West Norfolk rivals.
The Fenland Foxes - who held their first training session earlier this month - beat fellow newcomers West Norfolk Wildcats 38-16 in a morale-boosting friendly at Harecroft Road.
James Napier had the honour of scoring the Foxes’ first ever try, as the speedy full back crashed through the Norfolk defence for an early score.
Dogged defence from loose forward Tom Martell set the platform for more attacking play from the Foxes and tries from Will Pettit, Andy McCubbin, Billy Yorke, John Turner and captain Andy Claydon powered them into a commanding lead.
Napier grabbed his second of the game and Sam Anderson kicked three goals as the Wildcats’ three tries proved nothing more than consolations.
You may also want to watch:
Foxes coach Ash Howlett said: “The guys played really well for a group of players new to the game - the whole team impressed on debut.
“I hope both teams enjoyed the experience and with the players they have I expect the Foxes to kick on from here.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 5 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 6 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 9 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
“A rugby league team in the region is long overdue. For me, the result is great but I am happiest to see the sport being played in the region.”
The Foxes will look for a repeat performance when the sides meet for a second friendly on June 5 at Harecroft Road.