Local refereeing scheme scoops national awards thanks to positive community impact
- Credit: Archant
A local refereeing scheme tasted national success thanks to their positive work within the community.
The Peterborough & Fenland Referee Development Scheme (Peterborough RA) claimed two prestigious awards at a recent Referees' Association Awards evening.
Peterborough RA was the only association to win two out of the five possible categories at the De Vere Hotel in Milton Keynes.
First up was the Social Media & Digital Excellence award whereby judges highlighted the association's multimedia Facebook page, including 15,000 photographs and mini films.
They also won an award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community where Peterborough RA's work with lifestyle charity Vivacity, in schools across Whittlesey, at the annual Young Referees Day and organising special events and festivals were highlighted.
Robert Windle, chairman of the Peterborough RA, said: "To be recognised on the national stage and to receive two awards is a fantastic achievement and tribute to the dedicated committee members of the association.
"We are grateful to sponsors and grant supporters such as Cambs Community Funding and Vivacity that have given us the opportunity to work outside the conventional expectations of a regular Referees' Association."
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 8 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 9 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 10 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
In attendance at the event included chairman of the Referees' Association, Paul Field, and Neil Smith, secretary of the Peterborough RA.