Local refereeing scheme scoops national awards thanks to positive community impact
- Credit: Archant
A local refereeing scheme tasted national success thanks to their positive work within the community.
The Peterborough & Fenland Referee Development Scheme (Peterborough RA) claimed two prestigious awards at a recent Referees' Association Awards evening.
Peterborough RA was the only association to win two out of the five possible categories at the De Vere Hotel in Milton Keynes.
First up was the Social Media & Digital Excellence award whereby judges highlighted the association's multimedia Facebook page, including 15,000 photographs and mini films.
They also won an award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community where Peterborough RA's work with lifestyle charity Vivacity, in schools across Whittlesey, at the annual Young Referees Day and organising special events and festivals were highlighted.
Robert Windle, chairman of the Peterborough RA, said: "To be recognised on the national stage and to receive two awards is a fantastic achievement and tribute to the dedicated committee members of the association.
"We are grateful to sponsors and grant supporters such as Cambs Community Funding and Vivacity that have given us the opportunity to work outside the conventional expectations of a regular Referees' Association."
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 7 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 8 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 9 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 10 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
In attendance at the event included chairman of the Referees' Association, Paul Field, and Neil Smith, secretary of the Peterborough RA.