Peterborough Islanders re-sign ifluential captain Jonathan Bramall
PETERBOROUGH Islanders’ defence has been bolstered with the re-signing of influential captain Jonathan Bramall, who was selected as coaches’ player of the year last term.
Despite being only 23, Brammall has played more than 150 games for the team and was captain of the side that were relegated to English National League Division 2 last season, a dire turnaround after Islanders were crowned Champions of English Division 1 in 2007/08.
Bramall said: “I’m really happy to be back for another year with the Islanders. The club are looking to rebuild after a disappointing season and I can’t wait to be part of that.
“I like the way things are shaping up for the club, the team that (player coach) Ross Mackintosh and (coach) Rich Wheatley are trying to bring together should be pushing for the top of ENL Division 2 next season.
“Last year was very tough, but our main goal was to get ourselves back on an even footing after an uncertain summer. While results last season may not have reflected it, we did that and are in a better position now.
You may also want to watch:
“I am confident we’ll bounce back a bigger and stronger team for the experience.”
Mackintosh was pleased Brammall decided to return and said: “Jon is a great guy to have on the team. He always gives 110 per cent, will stand up for his team mates and has a good head on his shoulders.
- 1 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 2 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 3 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 4 BBC’s Johnny Dee all smiles at surprise market place birthday bash
- 5 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 6 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 7 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 8 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 9 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
“He continues to improve and I think it speaks volumes about his character as the boys chose him as captain last season.”