Peterborough Islanders re-sign ifluential captain Jonathan Bramall
PETERBOROUGH Islanders’ defence has been bolstered with the re-signing of influential captain Jonathan Bramall, who was selected as coaches’ player of the year last term.
Despite being only 23, Brammall has played more than 150 games for the team and was captain of the side that were relegated to English National League Division 2 last season, a dire turnaround after Islanders were crowned Champions of English Division 1 in 2007/08.
Bramall said: “I’m really happy to be back for another year with the Islanders. The club are looking to rebuild after a disappointing season and I can’t wait to be part of that.
“I like the way things are shaping up for the club, the team that (player coach) Ross Mackintosh and (coach) Rich Wheatley are trying to bring together should be pushing for the top of ENL Division 2 next season.
“Last year was very tough, but our main goal was to get ourselves back on an even footing after an uncertain summer. While results last season may not have reflected it, we did that and are in a better position now.
“I am confident we’ll bounce back a bigger and stronger team for the experience.”
Mackintosh was pleased Brammall decided to return and said: “Jon is a great guy to have on the team. He always gives 110 per cent, will stand up for his team mates and has a good head on his shoulders.
- 1 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 2 Man repeatedly stabbed nine-year-old boy in 'random attack'
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 5 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 6 Shoplifters 'dragged security guard across floor'
- 7 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 8 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 9 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 10 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
“He continues to improve and I think it speaks volumes about his character as the boys chose him as captain last season.”