Play for pride: Vickers calls for Wisbech to prove a point in Cantabs showdown
VICE captain Shane Vickers has urged Wisbech Rugby Club to prove a point against fierce rivals Cantabrigian on Saturday.
Cantabs, who are level on points with Wisbech but have two games in hand, now look sure to secure the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One title.
But Vickers has called for his team-mates to forget the table on Saturday and concentrate on sending a message to their rivals.
“There’s a lot of pride to play for,” he said. “The lads are 100 per cent focused and we’re itching for kick-off.
“Ever since we lost to Cantabs in December we have been waiting for this chance to prove a point.
You may also want to watch:
“If I was a supporter I would want to watch Saturday’s game - it’s going to be tasty.”
Wisbech, who will face a promotion play-off against a side from the Essex leagues if they finish second, beat Crusaders 21-12 on Saturday.
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 4 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 5 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 7 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 8 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 9 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 10 Disgruntled dog owners fall foul of Wetherspoon's dog ban
Ben McCall’s side had to produce a gutsy display after prop forward Andy Heighton was given a straight red card in the first five minutes for lashing out at an opponent.
Jon Turner, Luke Feaviour and Ben Chapman scored tries - all converted by Vickers - to give 14-man Wisbech their 17th league victory of the season.
Wisbech’s showdown with Cantabs kicks off at 3pm at Harecroft Road on Saturday.