Play for pride: Vickers calls for Wisbech to prove a point in Cantabs showdown
VICE captain Shane Vickers has urged Wisbech Rugby Club to prove a point against fierce rivals Cantabrigian on Saturday.
Cantabs, who are level on points with Wisbech but have two games in hand, now look sure to secure the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One title.
But Vickers has called for his team-mates to forget the table on Saturday and concentrate on sending a message to their rivals.
“There’s a lot of pride to play for,” he said. “The lads are 100 per cent focused and we’re itching for kick-off.
“Ever since we lost to Cantabs in December we have been waiting for this chance to prove a point.
“If I was a supporter I would want to watch Saturday’s game - it’s going to be tasty.”
Wisbech, who will face a promotion play-off against a side from the Essex leagues if they finish second, beat Crusaders 21-12 on Saturday.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 10 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
Ben McCall’s side had to produce a gutsy display after prop forward Andy Heighton was given a straight red card in the first five minutes for lashing out at an opponent.
Jon Turner, Luke Feaviour and Ben Chapman scored tries - all converted by Vickers - to give 14-man Wisbech their 17th league victory of the season.
Wisbech’s showdown with Cantabs kicks off at 3pm at Harecroft Road on Saturday.