Play for pride: Vickers calls for Wisbech to prove a point in Cantabs showdown
VICE captain Shane Vickers has urged Wisbech Rugby Club to prove a point against fierce rivals Cantabrigian on Saturday.
Cantabs, who are level on points with Wisbech but have two games in hand, now look sure to secure the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One title.
But Vickers has called for his team-mates to forget the table on Saturday and concentrate on sending a message to their rivals.
“There’s a lot of pride to play for,” he said. “The lads are 100 per cent focused and we’re itching for kick-off.
“Ever since we lost to Cantabs in December we have been waiting for this chance to prove a point.
You may also want to watch:
“If I was a supporter I would want to watch Saturday’s game - it’s going to be tasty.”
Wisbech, who will face a promotion play-off against a side from the Essex leagues if they finish second, beat Crusaders 21-12 on Saturday.
- 1 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 2 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 6 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 7 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 8 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 9 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
Ben McCall’s side had to produce a gutsy display after prop forward Andy Heighton was given a straight red card in the first five minutes for lashing out at an opponent.
Jon Turner, Luke Feaviour and Ben Chapman scored tries - all converted by Vickers - to give 14-man Wisbech their 17th league victory of the season.
Wisbech’s showdown with Cantabs kicks off at 3pm at Harecroft Road on Saturday.