Players ‘over the moon’ after Australian star Steve Seymour agrees return to March Town Cricket Club
- Credit: Archant
AUSTRALIAN all-rounder Steve Seymour is returning to March Town Cricket Club - and captain Chris Ringham says his players are over the moon.
Seymour, who starred as the overseas player at The Avenue in 2008/09, helped turn around March’s season last year when he made four appearances during a trip to England.
His holiday heroics included a sparkling century in his first game back and a record-breaking two hat-tricks in consecutive Tucker Gardner Premier Division games.
March secured a deal to re-sign their Aussie hero this week and Ringham said he would arrive in time for their first league clash, against Camden on April 20.
“Steve said out of the blue that he was looking to come back to England,” said the March skipper.
You may also want to watch:
“He had offers from clubs in Yorkshire but we made him an offer and fortunately he decided to take us up on it.
“I’m absolutely over the moon. I’ve spoken to the players and there’s a massive buzz around the squad now.”
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
Seymour plays first-grade cricket in Australia alongside international stars David Hussey and Chris Rogers.
Ringham said: “Steve can do everything - bat, bowl and field. He turns games and he’s a match-winner.
“He will definitely open the batting for us and he may open the bowling as well depending on the conditions. We were a bit nervous about who we were going to get, so this is brilliant.”
March shrugged off a dismal start to finish fourth in the league last season.
Ringham said: “If Steve stays fit, I’m fully confident we can achieve what we did last year.
“I don’t really think we’re strong enough to push for the title - you can’t rely on one person - but Steve definitely increases our chances of finishing top four.”