Players ‘over the moon’ after Australian star Steve Seymour agrees return to March Town Cricket Club
- Credit: Archant
AUSTRALIAN all-rounder Steve Seymour is returning to March Town Cricket Club - and captain Chris Ringham says his players are over the moon.
Seymour, who starred as the overseas player at The Avenue in 2008/09, helped turn around March’s season last year when he made four appearances during a trip to England.
His holiday heroics included a sparkling century in his first game back and a record-breaking two hat-tricks in consecutive Tucker Gardner Premier Division games.
March secured a deal to re-sign their Aussie hero this week and Ringham said he would arrive in time for their first league clash, against Camden on April 20.
“Steve said out of the blue that he was looking to come back to England,” said the March skipper.
You may also want to watch:
“He had offers from clubs in Yorkshire but we made him an offer and fortunately he decided to take us up on it.
“I’m absolutely over the moon. I’ve spoken to the players and there’s a massive buzz around the squad now.”
- 1 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Survey finds staggering 97 cent support for new Aldi store
- 9 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films
Seymour plays first-grade cricket in Australia alongside international stars David Hussey and Chris Rogers.
Ringham said: “Steve can do everything - bat, bowl and field. He turns games and he’s a match-winner.
“He will definitely open the batting for us and he may open the bowling as well depending on the conditions. We were a bit nervous about who we were going to get, so this is brilliant.”
March shrugged off a dismal start to finish fourth in the league last season.
Ringham said: “If Steve stays fit, I’m fully confident we can achieve what we did last year.
“I don’t really think we’re strong enough to push for the title - you can’t rely on one person - but Steve definitely increases our chances of finishing top four.”