Wisbech Swimming Club, formed more than 100 years ago, has become one of only a few clubs in Cambridgeshire to receive national accreditation based on the principles of long-term athlete development. The club received the Swim 21 award, an organisation af
Wisbech Swimming Club, formed more than 100 years ago, has become one of only a few clubs in Cambridgeshire to receive national accreditation based on the principles of long-term athlete development.
The club received the Swim 21 award, an organisation affiliated to the Amateur Swimming Association, which recognises clubs across the country committed to providing safe, effective and quality services for the benefit of their members.
The award was accepted on Thursday by Mike Rayner, a lifelong member of Wisbech Swimming Club, and was presented by Royston Emerson, East Region Development Officer for the ASA.
Diane Prestige, Swim 21 co-ordinator for Wisbech Swimming Club, said: "We have worked so hard to achieve this, and for a small club like us to achieve national recognition is a very great achievement."
You may also want to watch:
The club has been working for more than a year to achieve the accreditation, which is made up of four modules - swimmer development, teacher and coach development, club management and partnership.
A club committee worked to develop the club by following a programme as outlined by Swim 21. They had to meet 10 targets in each module.
- 1 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 2 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 3 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 4 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 5 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 6 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 7 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Coach Clive Ward said: "Anybody that comes to the area will see that we are now Swim 21-accredited, and they will know that we are run the proper way and that we teach to a good standard.