Positive plus points after heavy defeat
IPA MERIT TABLE Welwyn 3rd XV 54 March Bears 5 MARCH conceded nearly 80 points when they met Welwyn earlier this season and rightly expected a rough ride. The Bears knew they had to continue with their much improved performances of previous weeks to keep
IPA MERIT TABLE
Welwyn 3rd XV 54 March Bears 5
MARCH conceded nearly 80 points when they met Welwyn earlier this season and rightly expected a rough ride.
The Bears knew they had to continue with their much improved performances of previous weeks to keep the score to a respectable level.
You may also want to watch:
Taking 18 players away on the day was a first for several weeks.
Third-placed Welwyn proved to be a well organised outfit.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 3 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 6 Victim left with serious injuries after McDonald's car park attack
- 7 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 8 Youth with 'police style baton' caught out by CCTV
- 9 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 10 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
The hosts out-muscled March in the pack, and utilised their pacey and skilful backs.
From the kick off March were forced to defend their line, from sustained periods of pressure from the Welwyn forwards.
March's defence stood firm from the onslaught, with Jamie Kerse in the backs putting in thundering tackles, but it was only a matter of time before March conceded the first of four tries, which gave Welwyn a lead of 20 points.
March battled their way back into the game and were rewarded for their effort when Jason 'Rambo' Rainbow showed his raw pace to touch down in the corner, for an unconverted try.
Welwyn completed the first half with another try to go in at half-time 25-5 in front.
March's heads didn't drop and they made Welwyn work hard for their victory.
All 18 players used by March played as if their lives depended on.
The Bears will take confidence from the way they dominated the lineouts.