Positive plus points after heavy defeat
IPA MERIT TABLE Welwyn 3rd XV 54 March Bears 5 MARCH conceded nearly 80 points when they met Welwyn earlier this season and rightly expected a rough ride. The Bears knew they had to continue with their much improved performances of previous weeks to keep
IPA MERIT TABLE
Welwyn 3rd XV 54 March Bears 5
MARCH conceded nearly 80 points when they met Welwyn earlier this season and rightly expected a rough ride.
The Bears knew they had to continue with their much improved performances of previous weeks to keep the score to a respectable level.
Taking 18 players away on the day was a first for several weeks.
Third-placed Welwyn proved to be a well organised outfit.
- 1 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 2 Man repeatedly stabbed nine-year-old boy in 'random attack'
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 5 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 6 Shoplifters 'dragged security guard across floor'
- 7 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 8 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 9 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 10 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
The hosts out-muscled March in the pack, and utilised their pacey and skilful backs.
From the kick off March were forced to defend their line, from sustained periods of pressure from the Welwyn forwards.
March's defence stood firm from the onslaught, with Jamie Kerse in the backs putting in thundering tackles, but it was only a matter of time before March conceded the first of four tries, which gave Welwyn a lead of 20 points.
March battled their way back into the game and were rewarded for their effort when Jason 'Rambo' Rainbow showed his raw pace to touch down in the corner, for an unconverted try.
Welwyn completed the first half with another try to go in at half-time 25-5 in front.
March's heads didn't drop and they made Welwyn work hard for their victory.
All 18 players used by March played as if their lives depended on.
The Bears will take confidence from the way they dominated the lineouts.