Practice is perfect for winner Wayne
PRACTICE for the Angling Times Winter League match took place on the Nene, in Peterborough, on Sunday and some of the 85 anglers taking part found the going tough. Only 6lb was needed for a top 10 finish and out in front was Wayne Swinscoe, who netted fo
PRACTICE for the Angling Times Winter League match took place on the Nene, in Peterborough, on Sunday and some of the 85 anglers taking part found the going tough.
Only 6lb was needed for a top 10 finish and out in front was Wayne Swinscoe, who netted four chub and a few roach for a winning total of 18lb.
Manea Angling Club fished the Old Bedford, at Welches Dam, and most anglers found plenty of small rudd and roach feeding.
Steve Newell landed a tench as well as rudd and took top spot with 6lb. Manea will be fishing a silver fish match on their club lake on Sunday.
Mick Brown needed 41lb of bream to win the Norwich Champs Cup fished on the River Bure while Martin Caldecot netted 21lb 8oz to win the Norwich Open on the River Yare.
The Nene from Benwick to March is fishing well and the Forty Foot, at Ramsey Narrows, is worth a visit as is the Twenty Foot, at Chain Bridge and Shepperson Bridge.
- 1 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 2 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 3 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 Councils bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 8 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 9 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 10 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
Ten Mile Bank and the main drain at Magdalen are producing good returns of roach.
It has been a good week for Steve Smalley at High Flyers Lake, near Ely. Steve won Sunday's match with 190lb of carp to 10lb and on Tuesday he finished second.
Steve's total of 268lb was just one fish behind the winner Kenny Gammon who returned 271lb.
I managed to net 190lb for fourth place - a good result for me on a carp lake.
At Decoy, Tony Dawson, from Mepal, won Saturday's match from Horseshoe Lake with 57lb 8oz.
The following day, Nigel Baxter came out on top with 58lb from the Beastie Lake.
Also fishing Beastie on Sunday were Fenland Rods and John Garner included two 12lb carp in his winning net of 46lb.
Down the road at East Delph, Emneth angler Martin Woods won on the Big Lake with 137lb while Kevin Stokes won on the Small Lake with 110lb.
Alan Warren headed the list of Saturday's open match at Cross Drove, near Mildenhall. Stewart Bracy won Sunday's match with 84lb.
Mill View Angling Club fished a pairs match on Four Islands and Lou's Lake, at Decoy and Kev Peacock and Ray Sladden were the top pairing.
Ray was the best performer on Lou's Lake with 45lb and Kev won on Four Island with 39lb.