CRICKET: Super Saranga takes top honours for March Town
- Credit: Archant
Sri Lankan star Saranga Rajaguru picked up the top two pieces of silverware at March Town’s presentation night last Saturday.
The all-rounder captured the first XI player of the year accolade for both the Saturday and Sunday sides.
Rajaguru topped the club's batting and bowling averages having scored 1,311 runs and taken 71 wickets.
He helped March finish fourth in Division One of both the Cambs & Hunts Premier League and the Rutland League during a memorable summer in which they also claimed a clean sweep of four victories against fierce Fenland rivals Wisbech.
Rajaguru also topped the Rutland League Division One bowling list having taken four five wicket hauls with his leg-spin and came second in the batting.
He was second-highest wicket-taker in the Cambs & Hunts Premier League top flight and finished fourth in the list of leading run-scorers.
Two other first-team players were also presented with awards. Sam Clarke scooped the young player of the year prize while Ben Chapman took the 'Most Improved' accolade.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 8 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
Trophies were presented by Keith Coburn, the chairman of the Cambs & Hunts Premier League, and the evening was arranged by club chairman Les Mills.
Full list of March Town award-winners:
Saturday 1st XI player of the the year (Ian Bradshaw Trophy) - Saranga Rajaguru
Sunday 1st XI player of the ear (Michael Wallis Trophy) - Saranga Rajaguru
Saturday 2nd XI player of the year (Pat Ringham Trophy) - Nigel Wright
Sunday 2nd XI player of the year (Les Mills Trophy) - Manuj Patel
3rd XI player of the year (Mel Pooley Trophy) - James Beresford
4th XI player of the year - Luke Fage
Young player of the Year (Chris Littler Shield) - Sam Clarke
Most Improved (Nick Lowe Award) - Ben Chapman
Clubman (Chris Little Trophy) - Harry Vaheesan