CRICKET: Super Saranga takes top honours for March Town
- Credit: Archant
Sri Lankan star Saranga Rajaguru picked up the top two pieces of silverware at March Town’s presentation night last Saturday.
The all-rounder captured the first XI player of the year accolade for both the Saturday and Sunday sides.
Rajaguru topped the club's batting and bowling averages having scored 1,311 runs and taken 71 wickets.
He helped March finish fourth in Division One of both the Cambs & Hunts Premier League and the Rutland League during a memorable summer in which they also claimed a clean sweep of four victories against fierce Fenland rivals Wisbech.
Rajaguru also topped the Rutland League Division One bowling list having taken four five wicket hauls with his leg-spin and came second in the batting.
He was second-highest wicket-taker in the Cambs & Hunts Premier League top flight and finished fourth in the list of leading run-scorers.
Two other first-team players were also presented with awards. Sam Clarke scooped the young player of the year prize while Ben Chapman took the 'Most Improved' accolade.
- 1 Three March locals win £30k each on Postcode Lottery
- 2 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 5 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 8 Man repeatedly stabbed nine-year-old boy in 'random attack'
- 9 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 10 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
Trophies were presented by Keith Coburn, the chairman of the Cambs & Hunts Premier League, and the evening was arranged by club chairman Les Mills.
Full list of March Town award-winners:
Saturday 1st XI player of the the year (Ian Bradshaw Trophy) - Saranga Rajaguru
Sunday 1st XI player of the ear (Michael Wallis Trophy) - Saranga Rajaguru
Saturday 2nd XI player of the year (Pat Ringham Trophy) - Nigel Wright
Sunday 2nd XI player of the year (Les Mills Trophy) - Manuj Patel
3rd XI player of the year (Mel Pooley Trophy) - James Beresford
4th XI player of the year - Luke Fage
Young player of the Year (Chris Littler Shield) - Sam Clarke
Most Improved (Nick Lowe Award) - Ben Chapman
Clubman (Chris Little Trophy) - Harry Vaheesan