Reserves boss Max Flintoft determined to change fortunes of Whittlesey Athletic
- Credit: Archant
The manager of Whittlesey Athletic Reserves has vowed to get the club back on its feet following a sorry 12 months.
Reserves boss Max Flintoft is determined to change the fortunes of the club which had to withdraw its first team from all competitive action amid financial issues in September last year.
Flintoft, 25, inherited the town’s second side in the 2015/16 season and since then has guided them to fifth place in the Peterborough & District Football League Division One.
The local lads are currently on a run of 10 straight wins, and Flintoft has set his sights on an instant return to the PDFL Premier Division.
“We’ve got a good squad together here – all but three of the players are Whittlesey boys and I’m a Whittlesey boy myself so we want to get the club back up and running again,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I had to start from scratch and that showed at the start of the season but now we’ve found some form and things are looking really positive.
“I want to help take the club back to the Premier Division, which is where it belongs.”
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
Athletic extended their recent purple patch with a hard-fought 3-2 success over Oakham Reserves last Saturday thanks to goals from Harry Jenkins, Kevin Gilbert and Jack Carter’s 19th goal of the season.
They are without a game this weekend, but face mid-table Oundle Town on February 11.