Reserves boss Max Flintoft determined to change fortunes of Whittlesey Athletic
- Credit: Archant
The manager of Whittlesey Athletic Reserves has vowed to get the club back on its feet following a sorry 12 months.
Reserves boss Max Flintoft is determined to change the fortunes of the club which had to withdraw its first team from all competitive action amid financial issues in September last year.
Flintoft, 25, inherited the town’s second side in the 2015/16 season and since then has guided them to fifth place in the Peterborough & District Football League Division One.
The local lads are currently on a run of 10 straight wins, and Flintoft has set his sights on an instant return to the PDFL Premier Division.
“We’ve got a good squad together here – all but three of the players are Whittlesey boys and I’m a Whittlesey boy myself so we want to get the club back up and running again,” he said.
“I had to start from scratch and that showed at the start of the season but now we’ve found some form and things are looking really positive.
“I want to help take the club back to the Premier Division, which is where it belongs.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 3 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
Athletic extended their recent purple patch with a hard-fought 3-2 success over Oakham Reserves last Saturday thanks to goals from Harry Jenkins, Kevin Gilbert and Jack Carter’s 19th goal of the season.
They are without a game this weekend, but face mid-table Oundle Town on February 11.