Ridgeons round-up: March Town United go top with victory over Cornard United
MARCH Town United’s promotion charge reached new heights on Saturday as they cruised to the top of the league with a 2-0 win over Cornard United.
A penalty from captain Luke Pepper and a smart finish from striker Stu Anderson was enough to see off Ridgeons First Division strugglers Cornard and put Brett Whaley’s troops in top spot.
Promotion rivals Thetford Town – who fell to a 2-1 defeat against high-flying Godmanchester Rovers – sit one point behind the Hares in second, but with four games in hand.
The Hares next game is on January 28, when they will travel to Stowmarket Town.
March Town United Reserves sealed a fine day for the club by beating Fenland rivals Chatteris Town Reserves 1-0 at the GER.
Wisbech Town were denied the chance to return to winning ways after their clash with Gorleston was postponed due to a frozen pitch.
The Fenmen host Dunston UTS in the FA Vase Fourth Round on Saturday.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack