Ridgeons round-up: Mixed emotions for high-flying Wisbech Town and March Town United
WISBECH Town kept goal-machine Ollie Mann quiet on Saturday but still slipped to a 1-0 defeat in their vital league clash with Brantham Athletic.
Steve Appleby’s high-flying Fenmen, third in the Ridgeons Premier Division table going into the game, will feel aggrieved that they weren’t awarded at least one penalty during a frustrating afternoon at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
The second-placed Suffolk side created few chances in the game but bagged their winner when Adam Bloss headed home Mann’s free-kick.
The Fenmen were leapfrogged by rivals Ely City in the table as a result of the defeat while Brantham’s win moved them to within one point of leaders Wroxham.
Appleby’s side will be looking to bounce back immediately when they host CRC tomorrow night (7.45pm kick-off).
• The Fenmen’s struggling reserve side were hammered 6-0 at Soham Town Rangers.
Saturday’s Ridgeons Premier Division results in full
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 4 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 5 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 10 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
CRC 5 Kirkley & Pakefield 4 - Att: 53
FC Clacton 0 Ely City 2 - Att: 104
Felixstowe & Walton United 4 Walsham-le-Willows 1 - Att:57
Hadleigh United 3 Haverhill Rovers 1 - Att: 77
Mildenhall Town 0 Wivenhoe Town 0 - Att: 96
Stanway Rovers 0 Woodbridge Town 2 - Att: 73
Wisbech Town 0 Brantham Athletic 1 - Att: 293
Ridgeons Premier Division top six
1) Wroxham - Played 18: 44 points
2) Brantham Athletic - Played 18: 43 points
3) Ely City - Played 18: 38 points
4) Wisbech Town - Played 17: 37 points
5) Dereham Town - Played 20: 37 points
6) Norwich United - Played 21: 36 points
• IN-FORM March Town United hit four goals for the second consecutive game as they thumped Ipswich Wanderers.
Goals from Stu Anderson, Gavin Cooke, Giuliano Staffieri and debutant Ondre Odain helped Brett Whaley’s Hares move up to third in the Ridgeons First Division table with a comfortable 4-1 win.
The success followed a 4-0 drubbing of Cornard United a fortnight ago and Whaley will be hoping his side take their rampant form at the GER with them when they travel to Swaffham Town on Saturday.
• The Hares second string moved off the bottom of the Cambs BIS 1B Division table with a fine 5-1 win at Buckden.
Jermaine Watson bagged a brace with Ben Lemmon, Roy Taylor and new signing Lester Smith grabbing a goal each.
The side’s first league win of the season coincided with chairman Phil White’s return as manager.
Saturday’s Ridgeons First Division results in full
Cambridge University Press 4 Stowmarket Town 1 - Att: 35
Downham Town 2 Halstead Town 0 - Att: 54
March Town United 4 Ipswich Wanderers 1 - Att: 35
Swaffham Town 1 Debenham LC 4 - Att: 52
Whitton United 3 Brighlingsea Regent 3 - Att: 54
Ridgeons First Division top six
1) Whitton United - Played 14: 32 points
2) Thetford Town - Played 10: 30 points
3) March Town United - Played 13: 25 points
4) Brightlingsea Regent - Played 15: 25 points
5) Godmanchester Rovers - Played 11: 24 points
6) Cambridge University Press - Played 13: 24 points