Ridgeons round-up: Penalty claims denied in Wisbech Town draw while March Town United suffer 3-1 loss
APPEALS for a last-gasp penalty were snubbed on Saturday as Wisbech Town were forced to settle for a point against FC Clacton.
The Fenmen were dismayed that the referee didn’t point to the spot after striker Chris Bacon appeared to be scythed down in the penalty area.
Substitute Scott Johnson had earlier scored for the second consecutive game, giving the Fenmen the lead after good work from Callum Reed and Bacon.
But FC Clacton hit back to deny Steve Appleby’s troops a win which would have seen them go fourth in the Ridgeons Premier Division.
Wisbech host former striker Andy Furnell’s Soham Town Rangers in the Cambs Invitation Cup Semi-Final tomorrow night.
• MARCH Town United slipped to fourth in the Ridgeons First Division after a disappointing 3-1 loss to Swaffham Town at the GER.
The Hares produced a superb display to beat Thetford Town in the Ridgeons First Division Knockout Cup Quarter-Final on Tuesday.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
But Brett Whaley’s troops were sent crashing back down to earth by 10th-placed Swaffham in what was their first home game for seven weeks.
The visitors cruised into a 3-0 lead before Ash Brand scored March’s consolation.
League leaders Godmanchester Rovers drew 0-0 with Fakenham Town while promotion rivals Thetford demolished Cornard United 10-0.
The Hares travel to Debenham LC on Saturday.