Ridgeons round-up: Penalty claims denied in Wisbech Town draw while March Town United suffer 3-1 loss
APPEALS for a last-gasp penalty were snubbed on Saturday as Wisbech Town were forced to settle for a point against FC Clacton.
The Fenmen were dismayed that the referee didn’t point to the spot after striker Chris Bacon appeared to be scythed down in the penalty area.
Substitute Scott Johnson had earlier scored for the second consecutive game, giving the Fenmen the lead after good work from Callum Reed and Bacon.
But FC Clacton hit back to deny Steve Appleby’s troops a win which would have seen them go fourth in the Ridgeons Premier Division.
Wisbech host former striker Andy Furnell’s Soham Town Rangers in the Cambs Invitation Cup Semi-Final tomorrow night.
You may also want to watch:
• MARCH Town United slipped to fourth in the Ridgeons First Division after a disappointing 3-1 loss to Swaffham Town at the GER.
The Hares produced a superb display to beat Thetford Town in the Ridgeons First Division Knockout Cup Quarter-Final on Tuesday.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
But Brett Whaley’s troops were sent crashing back down to earth by 10th-placed Swaffham in what was their first home game for seven weeks.
The visitors cruised into a 3-0 lead before Ash Brand scored March’s consolation.
League leaders Godmanchester Rovers drew 0-0 with Fakenham Town while promotion rivals Thetford demolished Cornard United 10-0.
The Hares travel to Debenham LC on Saturday.