Ridgeons round-up: The latest news from Wisbech Town and March Town United
SIXTH-PLACED Wisbech Town will leapfrog Stanway Rovers in the Ridgeons Premier Division if they beat them at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Saturday.
Steve Appleby’s in-form Fenmen are unbeaten in eight games and beat Norwich United 3-0 on Saturday thanks to goals from Chris Bacon - his 14th and 15th of the season - and Matt Lunn.
Holders Wisbech will return to Plantation Park to play the Planters in the second round of the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup on November 22.
Elsewhere, the Fenmen’s reserve team began their defence of the Cambs William Coad Cup with a 3-0 win over Swavesy Institute.
The club’s veteran’s team lost 1-0 to Peterborough Northern Star before beating Somersham Town Vets 4-3.
• MARCH Town United boss Brett Whaley has been busy in the transfer market this week signing Peterborough Northern Star ‘keeper Lewis Moat on loan.
Whaley praised PNS boss Chris Plummer for completing the deal after ex-Wisbech ‘keeper, and Dereham Town shot-stopper, Chris Horton decided to stay at Aldiss Park despite The Magpies accepting March’s loan offer.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
The Hares boss has spoken to Spalding United striker Josh Ford after making a seven-day approach and is waiting to talk to Peterborough Sports Parkway’s wideman/striker Luke McDowell after tabling a similar offer.
Fifth-placed March host Brightlingsea Regent in the Ridgeons First Division on Saturday before entertaining a Cambridge United XI on Monday (7.45pm kick-off) to celebrate the club’s 125th anniversary.
Tickets are �4 for adults and �2 for concessions/children.
• Kick-offs 3pm unless stated.