Junior tennis players Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby from Chatteris move to next stage of ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition
- Credit: HANDOUT
Two junior tennis players from Fenland have made it to the next stage of the ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition.
Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby of the Chatteris Tennis Juniors came first and second at the first competition stage held at Chatteris Tennis Club on Sunday, May 19.
Garcia once again succeeded in winning the tournament. His club rival competed strongly to once again take the runners up spot.
Ollie Tuffin, who entered the tournament for the first time, came third. Coach Lisa Kennedy, who conducted the event, described his performance as "the finest tennis I'd seen Ollie play".
Liam and Ollie will now progress to the county stage which takes place in Cambridge on Saturday, July 13.
You may also want to watch:
A club spokesman said: "They [Liam and Ollie] will be facing tough competition, competing against boys up to two years older than them.
"The aim is reaching the finals which are held at Wimbledon and attended by former British tennis number one, Tim Henman."
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 9 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed