Junior tennis players Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby from Chatteris move to next stage of ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition
- Credit: HANDOUT
Two junior tennis players from Fenland have made it to the next stage of the ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition.
Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby of the Chatteris Tennis Juniors came first and second at the first competition stage held at Chatteris Tennis Club on Sunday, May 19.
Garcia once again succeeded in winning the tournament. His club rival competed strongly to once again take the runners up spot.
Ollie Tuffin, who entered the tournament for the first time, came third. Coach Lisa Kennedy, who conducted the event, described his performance as "the finest tennis I'd seen Ollie play".
Liam and Ollie will now progress to the county stage which takes place in Cambridge on Saturday, July 13.
You may also want to watch:
A club spokesman said: "They [Liam and Ollie] will be facing tough competition, competing against boys up to two years older than them.
"The aim is reaching the finals which are held at Wimbledon and attended by former British tennis number one, Tim Henman."
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
- 8 Villagers stay strong to earn perfect post-lockdown record
- 9 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 10 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized