Junior tennis players Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby from Chatteris move to next stage of ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition
- Credit: HANDOUT
Two junior tennis players from Fenland have made it to the next stage of the ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition.
Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby of the Chatteris Tennis Juniors came first and second at the first competition stage held at Chatteris Tennis Club on Sunday, May 19.
Garcia once again succeeded in winning the tournament. His club rival competed strongly to once again take the runners up spot.
Ollie Tuffin, who entered the tournament for the first time, came third. Coach Lisa Kennedy, who conducted the event, described his performance as "the finest tennis I'd seen Ollie play".
Liam and Ollie will now progress to the county stage which takes place in Cambridge on Saturday, July 13.
A club spokesman said: "They [Liam and Ollie] will be facing tough competition, competing against boys up to two years older than them.
"The aim is reaching the finals which are held at Wimbledon and attended by former British tennis number one, Tim Henman."
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
- 10 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant