Junior tennis players Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby from Chatteris move to next stage of ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition
- Credit: HANDOUT
Two junior tennis players from Fenland have made it to the next stage of the ‘Road to Wimbledon’ competition.
Liam Garcia and Ollie Appleby of the Chatteris Tennis Juniors came first and second at the first competition stage held at Chatteris Tennis Club on Sunday, May 19.
Garcia once again succeeded in winning the tournament. His club rival competed strongly to once again take the runners up spot.
Ollie Tuffin, who entered the tournament for the first time, came third. Coach Lisa Kennedy, who conducted the event, described his performance as "the finest tennis I'd seen Ollie play".
Liam and Ollie will now progress to the county stage which takes place in Cambridge on Saturday, July 13.
You may also want to watch:
A club spokesman said: "They [Liam and Ollie] will be facing tough competition, competing against boys up to two years older than them.
"The aim is reaching the finals which are held at Wimbledon and attended by former British tennis number one, Tim Henman."
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit