ROGAN GOSH! Appleby insists McGeorge capture gives Wisbech Town the ‘complete midfield’
EXCITED boss Steve Appleby thinks Wisbech Town will boast the “complete midfield” next season after he swooped to sign Rogan McGeorge this week.
Attacking midfielder McGeorge, 20, who has played for Mildenhall Town, Soham Town Rangers and Cambridge United, signed for the Fenmen at their first pre-season training session on Tuesday.
Appleby also secured the services of McGeorge’s former Soham team-mate Dubi Ogbonna last night. The 20-year-old is a striker who has previously played for numerous clubs including Cambridge United, Southend United and Histon.
The Wisbech boss said: “Rogan is the one we’ve been after who can open up defences. I’ve seen that over the last couple of years.
“He will give us another option, playing someone in the hole behind the strikers. It gives us variety and it gives us the complete midfield.”
You may also want to watch:
McGeorge will be a welcome addition at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium after young midfielders Sam Murphy and Lewis Thompson decided to leave in search of regular football.
Another youngster, Ollie Gale, has decided to stay with the Fenmen – and Appleby said this could be a big boost.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 5 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 9 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 10 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
“Ollie was brilliant for us towards the end of last season,” he said.
“I’d say he was our best player in the last 10 games and I think he will play a big part this year.”
Fenmen fans toasted more good news this week as the club confirmed a pre-season friendly with fierce rivals King’s Lynn Town.
The money-spinning tie, which sees Wisbech’s clash with Sleaford Town moved to July 12, will be played at the Walks on July 14.
Appleby said: “The game itself will be a great spectacle for the fans but to me and Gary Setchell it will be just another pre-season friendly.
“It’s one I want to win to save face and the reason we have organised it is we know it’s going to be competitive. It will be as realistic as a league game.”
Appleby added: “The whole squad is buzzing. They really believe that they can do something special this year and so do I.”