ROGAN GOSH! Appleby insists McGeorge capture gives Wisbech Town the ‘complete midfield’
EXCITED boss Steve Appleby thinks Wisbech Town will boast the “complete midfield” next season after he swooped to sign Rogan McGeorge this week.
Attacking midfielder McGeorge, 20, who has played for Mildenhall Town, Soham Town Rangers and Cambridge United, signed for the Fenmen at their first pre-season training session on Tuesday.
Appleby also secured the services of McGeorge’s former Soham team-mate Dubi Ogbonna last night. The 20-year-old is a striker who has previously played for numerous clubs including Cambridge United, Southend United and Histon.
The Wisbech boss said: “Rogan is the one we’ve been after who can open up defences. I’ve seen that over the last couple of years.
“He will give us another option, playing someone in the hole behind the strikers. It gives us variety and it gives us the complete midfield.”
You may also want to watch:
McGeorge will be a welcome addition at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium after young midfielders Sam Murphy and Lewis Thompson decided to leave in search of regular football.
Another youngster, Ollie Gale, has decided to stay with the Fenmen – and Appleby said this could be a big boost.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
“Ollie was brilliant for us towards the end of last season,” he said.
“I’d say he was our best player in the last 10 games and I think he will play a big part this year.”
Fenmen fans toasted more good news this week as the club confirmed a pre-season friendly with fierce rivals King’s Lynn Town.
The money-spinning tie, which sees Wisbech’s clash with Sleaford Town moved to July 12, will be played at the Walks on July 14.
Appleby said: “The game itself will be a great spectacle for the fans but to me and Gary Setchell it will be just another pre-season friendly.
“It’s one I want to win to save face and the reason we have organised it is we know it’s going to be competitive. It will be as realistic as a league game.”
Appleby added: “The whole squad is buzzing. They really believe that they can do something special this year and so do I.”