Rugby round-up: Wisbech fight back in 18-17 thriller while March Bears Legends dominate
WISBECH Rugby Club shrugged off their Junior Vase exit by recovering from a nightmare start to beat high-flying Harwich & Dovercourt on Saturday.
London Exiles ended Wisbech’s dream of a Twickenham final last weekend - and things looked to be getting even worse for Ben McCall’s troops as Harwich powered into a 14-0 lead after just eight minutes.
But Wisbech fought back to claim a thrilling 18-17 victory and go top of Greene King Eastern Counties Division One. Title rivals Cantabrigian sit second with a game in hand.
Manager Cliff Humphreys said: “It was a great all round team performance and to come back from such a disastrous start shows the character in the side.”
Number 8 Graham Saunders started the comeback with a try before man of the match Ben Chapman crashed over for a second score, converted by Andy Claydon.
You may also want to watch:
And although Wisbech were denied any further tries, scrum half Claydon slotted over two second-half penalties to give them an invaluable victory.
Wisbech travel to Ipswich YMCA on Saturday.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 3 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 Hauliers face Covid and Brexit HGV driver shortage
- 6 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 7 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 8 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 9 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
• MARCH Bears Legends XV enjoyed a try-feast on Saturday as they thrashed Peterborough Vets 47-0.
Forward Aaron Boxall scored a memorable hat-trick of tries as the Bears tore Peterborough’s defence to bits at Elm Road Sports Field.
Ben Saxby (2), Jonathan Beavis and captain Rob Whyman all crashed over, while Jake Reed was in fine kicking form with two penalties and three conversions.
The Bears are still looking for more players for both the Legends and the first team. Training is held at Elm Road Sports Field on Thursdays from 7pm. For more information visit: www.marchbearsrufc.org.uk