RUGBY UNION: Title-winning March Bears brush St Ives 2nds aside with commanding display
- Credit: Archant
March Bears have already won the Eastern Counties Division Three West title – but their performances have not wavered.
The local lads easily brushed their nearest rivals aside last weekend, beating St Ives 2nds 55-5 to tie up their eighth consecutive league win.
Their winning afternoon got off to flier thanks to a try from winger Jon Aspinwall, before Edward Cribb added a second soon after.
Will Burke notched a third after some neat passing play, and Jack Allison sprinted home and dotted down to extend March’s advantage.
Veteran hooker Simon Whittaker bounced off a couple of tackles to score, centre Tom Swann rampaged through the St Ives defence to further increase their lead and Cribb helped himself to his second to give March a healthy lead into the half time break.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives took advantage of the Bears’ slow start to the second half to score, but March were quick to respond as Stewart Rigby broke of the back of a set scrum to run in and score.
Kris Feaviour added his name to the score sheet, and Cribb side-stepped the St Ives defence to tie up his hat-trick as March ran out comfortable winners.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 4 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 7 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 8 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 9 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 10 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
March conclude their season with a trip to Newmarket 2nds, who sit at the bottom of the league standings, on Saturday afternoon.