Russell’s facing selection dilemma
MARCH Town United s vital Ridgeons First Division match at Godmanchester Rovers on Saturday fell foul of the weather. But, despite the week off, co-manager Alan Russell is still facing a selection nightmare. Tomorrow (Saturday), the Hares entertain Stowma
MARCH Town United's vital Ridgeons First Division match at Godmanchester Rovers on Saturday fell foul of the weather.
But, despite the week off, co-manager Alan Russell is still facing a selection nightmare.
Tomorrow (Saturday), the Hares entertain Stowmarket Town and Russell will have to field a side without both of his first-choice central defenders.
Steve Thompson will serve a one-match suspension and Paul Cousins is definitely out, having failed to recover from a hamstring injury.
With Danny Leafe, Teddy Rimmell and keeper Trevor Marshall all out, Russell already has a lot to think about but the absence of Thompson and Cousins is his biggest challenge.
Russell said: "We are thin on the ground in defence and I will have to field reserve players on Saturday.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
"It is not ideal but we have to get on with it and go out looking for three points."
With Tuesday evening training also losing out to the weather, Russell took the opportunity to watch a Swaffham Town central midfielder he hopes to bring to the GER.
Russell said: "I don't want to identify the player yet but I have approached him and he may make a decision on joining March within the next week."
He added: "I watched him come off the bench to play for Swaffham this week and I thought he did well.
"He was played out of position, as a striker, and looked very pacy.