Russell wins his first Formula 3 European Championship race at Silverstone ... in only his second outing
- Credit: Archant
Tydd St Giles racing sensation George Russell has made a dream start to his Formula 3 European Championship season ... he has already won his first race.
The 17 year-old McLaren Autosport BRDC award recipient won the second race of the season opener at Silverstone.
Russell, from second on the grid, saw off the challenge of Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi to clinch a stunning win.
In the other two races, Russell finished 10th and fifth. His impressive first weekend means he is third in the championship standings on 39 points, 12 behind overall leader Giovinazzi and four behind Leclerc.
Russell said: “I knew we would be competitive but in testing it’s really difficult to judge how competitive.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great to get a win under my belt so early in the season.”
Last year’s BRDC British Formula 4 Champion followed in the footsteps of Jenson Button, David Coulthard, Paul di Resta and Dario Franchitti in winning the prestigious McLaren Autosport BRDC Award.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 7 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 10 Alcohol licence objections over noise and disturbance concerns
He said: “It’s a massive award so there is quite a bit of pressure on you to deliver. I’m pleased to back it up with this win.
“But I don’t think you should get too carried away - it was a great result but this is a really long season.
“Our aim is to finish in the top three in the championship. If we achieve that, it would be incredible. Anything better would be fantastic.”