Sam Kilby and friends will be at the Bell Inn, Murrow, to stage 24 hour darts marathon in aid of charity
- Credit: Archant
A Parson Drove man will step up to the oche for a whole day to raise funds for a charity close to his heart.
Sam Kilby is a founding trustee of Welcome 2 Our World, a charity set up in 2014 which offers activities and support for families in the Fenland area who have children with special educational needs.
The 27-year-old, along with a group of his friends, will be aiming to hit a fundraising bullseye when they get their darts marathon underway at the Bell Inn in Murrow tomorrow (January 9).
Sam, who has a daughter who suffers from severe autism, said: “We want to raise money so that special transport can be organised to take those with special needs on days out because they mean so much to the kids.
“I don’t think enough is being done to help take those with special needs on family days out, so hopefully the money we raise can support that.”
You may also want to watch:
The 24-hour ‘dartathon’ is one of the events that the charity has organised to try and raise funds, including a series of family fun sessions throughout 2016.
The sessions follow a successful weekend of tasters in December and the charity is inviting families who have a child or young person within the family with a Special Educational Need or Disability to their fun sporting sessions.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
The project is being delivered in partnership with Living Sport and supported by Comic Relief local communities funding via Cambridgeshire Community Foundation.
Sam will throw his first dart at 11am tomorrow morning to get the event underway, with the final dart being launched at 11am the following morning.
The mammoth darts session will feature a number of games - including highest three-dart score and the most 180s – offering cash prizes to those taking part in the day-long marathon.
Welcome 2 Our World is looking to raise £500 for specialist transport, and the charity is well on its way to hitting its target, with £380 raised so far.
For more information or to donate, please visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/W20W or the event’s Facebook page on https://www.facebook.com/events/575952479223442/.