Sam Kilby and friends will be at the Bell Inn, Murrow, to stage 24 hour darts marathon in aid of charity
- Credit: Archant
A Parson Drove man will step up to the oche for a whole day to raise funds for a charity close to his heart.
Sam Kilby is a founding trustee of Welcome 2 Our World, a charity set up in 2014 which offers activities and support for families in the Fenland area who have children with special educational needs.
The 27-year-old, along with a group of his friends, will be aiming to hit a fundraising bullseye when they get their darts marathon underway at the Bell Inn in Murrow tomorrow (January 9).
Sam, who has a daughter who suffers from severe autism, said: “We want to raise money so that special transport can be organised to take those with special needs on days out because they mean so much to the kids.
“I don’t think enough is being done to help take those with special needs on family days out, so hopefully the money we raise can support that.”
You may also want to watch:
The 24-hour ‘dartathon’ is one of the events that the charity has organised to try and raise funds, including a series of family fun sessions throughout 2016.
The sessions follow a successful weekend of tasters in December and the charity is inviting families who have a child or young person within the family with a Special Educational Need or Disability to their fun sporting sessions.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 7 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
The project is being delivered in partnership with Living Sport and supported by Comic Relief local communities funding via Cambridgeshire Community Foundation.
Sam will throw his first dart at 11am tomorrow morning to get the event underway, with the final dart being launched at 11am the following morning.
The mammoth darts session will feature a number of games - including highest three-dart score and the most 180s – offering cash prizes to those taking part in the day-long marathon.
Welcome 2 Our World is looking to raise £500 for specialist transport, and the charity is well on its way to hitting its target, with £380 raised so far.
For more information or to donate, please visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/W20W or the event’s Facebook page on https://www.facebook.com/events/575952479223442/.