Santa gets the sack as Leisure Leagues concentrate on the beautiful game this Christmas
LEISURE Leagues, who run popular five-a-side football competitions in March, have given Santa the sack this Christmas in order to concentrate on the beautiful game.
The firm, who offer both five and six-a-side leagues, have decided to forego the usual turkey, trees and presents in favour of tackles points and goals.
Andy Thorley, the league’s media manager, said: “When you boil it down, Christmas is about football. In previous years we have, as a company tried to get into the festive spirit, but this time we have decided that all people expect from us is a quality football league and that’s what will give them.
“It doesn’t matter whether its Christmas, summer or spring, we will do our best to provide just that.
“We have worked hard with Neale-Wade Community College, where the leagues are held, to get all the games on so that people don’t have to sit around the house being bored when they actually want to play.”
You may also want to watch:
The winners and runners up of the league will be invited to the National Six-a-side Football Championships – set to be held in Birmingham in June next year. Profits from the competition are donated to charity.
Anyone who wants to join the league can ring 0845 230 2340 or visit www.leisureleagues.net
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million