Santa gets the sack as Leisure Leagues concentrate on the beautiful game this Christmas
LEISURE Leagues, who run popular five-a-side football competitions in March, have given Santa the sack this Christmas in order to concentrate on the beautiful game.
The firm, who offer both five and six-a-side leagues, have decided to forego the usual turkey, trees and presents in favour of tackles points and goals.
Andy Thorley, the league’s media manager, said: “When you boil it down, Christmas is about football. In previous years we have, as a company tried to get into the festive spirit, but this time we have decided that all people expect from us is a quality football league and that’s what will give them.
“It doesn’t matter whether its Christmas, summer or spring, we will do our best to provide just that.
“We have worked hard with Neale-Wade Community College, where the leagues are held, to get all the games on so that people don’t have to sit around the house being bored when they actually want to play.”
You may also want to watch:
The winners and runners up of the league will be invited to the National Six-a-side Football Championships – set to be held in Birmingham in June next year. Profits from the competition are donated to charity.
Anyone who wants to join the league can ring 0845 230 2340 or visit www.leisureleagues.net
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 9 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 10 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating