Santa gets the sack as Leisure Leagues concentrate on the beautiful game this Christmas
LEISURE Leagues, who run popular five-a-side football competitions in March, have given Santa the sack this Christmas in order to concentrate on the beautiful game.
The firm, who offer both five and six-a-side leagues, have decided to forego the usual turkey, trees and presents in favour of tackles points and goals.
Andy Thorley, the league’s media manager, said: “When you boil it down, Christmas is about football. In previous years we have, as a company tried to get into the festive spirit, but this time we have decided that all people expect from us is a quality football league and that’s what will give them.
“It doesn’t matter whether its Christmas, summer or spring, we will do our best to provide just that.
“We have worked hard with Neale-Wade Community College, where the leagues are held, to get all the games on so that people don’t have to sit around the house being bored when they actually want to play.”
You may also want to watch:
The winners and runners up of the league will be invited to the National Six-a-side Football Championships – set to be held in Birmingham in June next year. Profits from the competition are donated to charity.
Anyone who wants to join the league can ring 0845 230 2340 or visit www.leisureleagues.net
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life