LOCAL FOOTBALL: Chatteris Town triumph in Fenland derby to make county cup progress
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town claimed the Fenland bragging rights last Saturday when breezing to county cup success against March Town Reserves.
The Lilies swept to a 4-1 triumph against the Hares second string in a Cambs William Coad Intermediate Cup clash at West Street which attracted a fine attendance of 292.
Jack Saunders pounced on an under-hit back pass to give Chatteris an early lead which was doubled when captain Simon Howard poked in a Gary Smith corner.
The March side, who play one level below Chatteris in the Cambridgeshire County League, halved their arrears when Kieron Neville headed in a Luke Cable cross with the aid of a kiss from the post.
But Chatteris responded only seconds after half-time as Saunders dribbled through the visiting defence to grab his second goal of the game.
You may also want to watch:
And their passage was sealed with 18 minutes to go when Ben Matthews pounced after a Saunders shot was saved by March keeper James Mortlock.
Chatteris boss Alex Kaufman said: “We made it hard for ourselves in the first half when we looked a mess at times, but we were excellent in the second half.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 5 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
“Our third goal was probably the pivotal one as it killed March so soon after half-time.”
Chatteris are without a fixture this Saturday but resume their Kershaw Senior A Division promotion challenge with a November 17 trip to Orwell.