Semi final ABA agony for March ABC boxer Lazenby but Smith enjoys revenge against national champion
- Credit: Archant
Two of March ABC’s most promising young competitors endured contrasting fortunes in their most recent bouts.
There was heartbreak for Regan Lazenby, 15, who lost by split decision in the semi finals of the ABA Junior National Championships to Nevale Smith, of Guildford ABC, at the Isle of Sheppey, Kent.
But Patsy Smith came out on top in a re-match against former national champion Jenny Sweeney, of Harrow ABC, at the Tamworth Ladies Open.
Sweeney came on out on top in their previous meeting but, this time round, Smith outclassed her opponent to win by unanimous points decision.
She is the second national champion Smith has beaten in consecutive bouts, proof that the 14 year-old is definitively one to watch.
You may also want to watch:
Her performances have caught the eye of people in high places - she has been invited to a camp this week in Oxford where she will be introduced to the England coaches.
Bernie Wing, of March ABC, said: “Regan’s bout was there for the taking but unfortunately he let it go. He was absolutely gutted but he will get another shot at it next year.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 5 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 6 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 'Marvellous' Lilian celebrates 103rd birthday
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
“Patsy was brilliant. She comfortably beat a former national champion who had won her last seven bouts. She is coming on well.”