Semi final ABA agony for March ABC boxer Lazenby but Smith enjoys revenge against national champion
- Credit: Archant
Two of March ABC’s most promising young competitors endured contrasting fortunes in their most recent bouts.
There was heartbreak for Regan Lazenby, 15, who lost by split decision in the semi finals of the ABA Junior National Championships to Nevale Smith, of Guildford ABC, at the Isle of Sheppey, Kent.
But Patsy Smith came out on top in a re-match against former national champion Jenny Sweeney, of Harrow ABC, at the Tamworth Ladies Open.
Sweeney came on out on top in their previous meeting but, this time round, Smith outclassed her opponent to win by unanimous points decision.
She is the second national champion Smith has beaten in consecutive bouts, proof that the 14 year-old is definitively one to watch.
You may also want to watch:
Her performances have caught the eye of people in high places - she has been invited to a camp this week in Oxford where she will be introduced to the England coaches.
Bernie Wing, of March ABC, said: “Regan’s bout was there for the taking but unfortunately he let it go. He was absolutely gutted but he will get another shot at it next year.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 3 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 9 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 10 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
“Patsy was brilliant. She comfortably beat a former national champion who had won her last seven bouts. She is coming on well.”