Setchell is back with the Fenmen
FORMER Rushden and Diamonds, Kettering and Wisbech defender Gary Setchell has re-signed for the Fenmen as a player and assistant manager. The 33-year-old centre-back joins from Swaffham Town, who were relegated to the Ridgeons First Division last season.
FORMER Rushden and Diamonds, Kettering and Wisbech defender Gary Setchell has re-signed for the Fenmen as a player and assistant manager.
The 33-year-old centre-back joins from Swaffham Town, who were relegated to the Ridgeons First Division last season.
He had been expected to take over as Swaffham's joint manager with Ross McNeil.
Setchell becomes Steve Taylor's third signing as Wisbech manager after the acquisition of striker Nick Impey and attacking left-back Jamie Thurlbourne last week.
You may also want to watch:
Taylor revealed that he is looking to add another defender and a versatile midfielder to his squad.
He has players in mind but was unprepared to give names, but ex-Wisbech player Richard Harnwell was spotted at the Fenmen's pre-season training session on Saturday.
- 1 Rail travel in the Fens is going to be much nicer
- 2 Police accuse Wisbech mayor and pub landlord of 'insulting disregard' to licensing objectives
- 3 Shellens quits after committee votes to gag Hickford debate
- 4 Two cars – including Range Rover – stolen overnight in keyless thefts
- 5 'We can't stand still' - co-chairman on taking Whittlesey to next level
- 6 Nine years jail for paedophile who 'manipulated and exploited' teenage girls
- 7 Motorist escapes serious injury after Sixteen Foot Bank crash
- 8 Man hospitalised with serious injuries after industrial accident
- 9 Jail for sex offender who went abroad and missed his appointments
- 10 Drunk and disorderly man ‘ashamed and embarrassed’ after arrest
Harnwell is a 33-year-old who can play as a defender and defensive midfielder who has also previously played for Ely City and Mildenhall Town.
Taylor said of his new signing Setchell: "Gary will be an important player for us and I can see him linking up well with Lee Day in the centre of defence.
"He's played at a high standard and with his experience he will help some of the younger players come through.
"I was looking for the type of player who can be a natural leader on the pitch and in this way I see Gary as a good replacement for Steve Appleby."
Setchell made 45 appearances for Wisbech in the mid-1990s.
He started 34 matches, made 11 substitute appearances and scored 11 goals.
He helped Rushden and Diamonds to the 2002 Division Three play-off final at the Millennium Stadium and was King's Lynn's captain in the 2004/05 season.
He has also played for Fakenham, Tamworth and AFC Sudbury.
Taylor revealed that striker Tom Gosling, who is planning to appeal a two-year Ridgeons League ban has been in for pre-season training.
Gosling received his ban in May after two separate incidents.
He was charged with racially abusing two Felixstowe and Walton players during a league match on November 24 and was reported to the league after being sent off for confronting a referee during a Boxing Day match against Swaffham.
Gosling has always denied the former charge.
Gary Setchell during his time as King's Lynn skipper. X04Setchell
Picture: EASTERN DAILY PRESS
Richard Harnwell, who was spotted at Wisbech's pre-season training session on Saturday. It is rumoured that he may re-sign for the Fenmen. X04Harnwell