Shock defeat for darts legend Martin Adams as TWO world champions visit Fenland
THERE was a shock defeat for darts legend Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams on Sunday as Fenland played host to TWO world champions.
Adams was beaten 4-2 by Ian McFarlane at the GER, in March, as struggling Cambridgeshire slumped to a 25-14 defeat against Warwickshire.
Nine-time ladies world champion Trina Gulliver, who has played in almost 200 matches for Warwickshire, was also given a tough test against Cambridgeshire’s Claire Ball.
Ball was agonisingly close to causing a second upset, missing darts at doubles as Gulliver prevailed 3-2.
The weekend’s BDO Premier Division Clash started on Saturday as Cambridgeshire’s ‘B’ teams suffered heavy losses.
Diane Couzens and Liz Humphries were the only winners for the ladies, who were beaten 4-2, while the men were thumped 9-3.
Cambridgeshire fought back on Sunday as the ‘A’ teams secured draws. Wins from Nadine Bentley, Juliet Findley and Barbara Greatbatch helped the ladies to a share of the spoils.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 4 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 5 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 6 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 7 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
Ian Withers claimed Cambridgeshire’s first win in the men’s fixture by defeating former England star Tommy Aldridge.
Dennis Harbour, Pete Dyos, Garry Kilpatrick, Simon Matthews and Chris Sands-Pearce were also victorious in the 6-6 draw.
The results leaves Cambridgeshire, who travel to Glamorgan next month, rooted to the bottom of the league.