Shock squad shake-up at Wisbech Town as McGeorge, Napier and top-scorer Ogbonna are released
- Credit: Richard Marsham
THREE players have been released by Wisbech Town - including top-scorer Dubi Ogbonna.
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby confirmed the surprise squad shake-up yesterday as he released striker Ogbonna and midfielders Rogan McGeorge and Deakan Napier.
Ogbonna, who signed for Wisbech from Soham Town Rangers in the summer, has scored 11 goals in 18 Thurlow Nunn Premier Division games. His early-season form attracted the interest of numerous clubs but he twice turned down chances to leave Wisbech - for Wroxham and St Ives Town.
McGeorge also signed for the Fenmen in the summer after spells with Mildenhall Town and Soham - but the former Cambridge United youngster struggled to nail down a starting place at Wisbech, with many of his appearances coming as a substitute.
Napier, who sealed a switch to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium in November, scored in Wisbech’s 4-2 (AET) FA Vase fourth-round defeat at Gornal Athletic on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement on the club’s Internet forum, Appleby said the departures were “purely a managerial decision”.
He said: “Rogan, whilst a quality footballer, doesn’t work hard enough for the team and unfortunately, due to the form of Adam Millson and Steve Reid, opportunities in his favoured central position were limited.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
“He was becoming increasingly unhappy, so I have decided to release him so he can seek regular football.
“Deakan, in my opinion, started well, but failed to live up to early expectations and although, like Rogan, he’s a great player, unfortunately it’s time for change.
“Dubi is a very talented footballer who could no doubt play higher if he applied himself better. He’s a colourful character, but very individual and I’ve decided that it’s time for us to go our separate ways.
“Another factor in myself and Chris’ decision was that all three lads haven’t attended training when required. They have only turned up to one of the last four sessions, which is unacceptable.
“The decision to release these players has been made for the unity of the squad and as usual I have been totally honest and will continue to do my best for Wisbech Town Football Club.
“Although this may have come as a shock I believe it was the right and only decision that could be made. Please trust me on this.”
McGeorge said on Twitter yesterday: “Thanks to the fans for my time at Wisbech! Been let go. Hard to do a lot sat on the bench.. happy to say im not short of options to move on..”
Appleby is thought to be in the process of lining up replacements.
• For all the latest news on the Fenmen see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.