Twins smash the National Inline speed skating record
- Credit: Archant
Two twin sisters from Wisbech Grammar School took part in the National Championship speed skating competition in Essex.
Eve and Lucy McInerney (Leverington) travelled to Maldon with their father, who is also their coach, after months of intensive training.
Their first race, a 100m ‘Dobbin sprint’, saw Eve achieve the second fastest time. The girls then moved on to the second race: a 500m competition over six laps; Eve again achieved 2nd place and Lucy 3rd in what was described as a very close race.
Then came the 1500m over 16 laps; Eve and Lucy achieved 2nd and 3rd respectively, and then came the relay which is in a senior female category.
Two teams closed in on the McInerney sisters but they were no competition for these determined girls, who lapped them during the race, slicing a massive 30 seconds off the national record. Eve now holds seven national records and Lucy has joined her in the ranks taking her first national record.
You may also want to watch:
The sisters are off to Portugal and Germany in the coming months to increase their experience in the field of speed skating.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 4 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 7 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 8 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 9 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations