Skipper returns as ruthless March follow weekend win with cup victory
Hares’ skipper Luke Pepper found the net as March Town United booked their place in the next round of The Ridgeons League Challenge Cup, with a 3-2 win over Fakenham Town on Tuesday.
Pepper, who returned to action after a five-week absence in Saturday’s 1-0 win over table-toppers Long Melford, scored a volley to help the Hares overcome Fakenham.
A 25 yard strike from Scott Welcher and a goal from 18 year-old Dan Sterna sealed the 3-2 victory.
Midfield playmaker Pepper said: “It was really good to be back involved and it was nice to get off the mark for the season.
“We are starting to play really well and Saturday’s win was particularly good as we had to defend well in the second half against a strong wind.”
You may also want to watch:
Saturday’s victory came thanks to a first half strike from Denny Escorcio and Pepper says the Hares are still gunning for a high league finish.
He said: “We felt that we had a bad start but it’s tight this year and we have plenty of games in hand.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
“We are always looking for a top five finish. We are quite a young side but we are reasonably experienced at this level and we really want promotion.”
March’s next game is away at Swaffham Town on October 9, for which the Hares will welcome back manager Jamie Weston following the birth of his first son Noah last week.