SNOOKER: No Crucible outing for Joe Perry after disappointing qualifying defeat
- Credit: Archant
Joe Perry has failed to qualify for the Betfred World Championships for just the second time since 2004 after suffering a humiliating defeat to the world number 82 in the second round of qualifying last night.
The Chatteris cueman led 6-4 against Akani Songsermsawad at Ponds Forge in Sheffield but the Thai rattled in five straight frames to put Perry on the brink of a shock exit in their first-to-10 clash.
Perry reduced the arrears by winning the next three, but Songsermsawad clinched the final frame 77-4.
The 42-year-old was forced to qualify after slipping down the world rankings to 19th, and later took to Twitter to vent his frustrations at what has been a poor campaign.
“Well, that performance pretty much sums up my season apart from a couple of highs! Lots of work needed in the close season!” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Really can’t keep playing like this, worst season for a long time standard wise! Changes needed!”
He also tweeted: “Can’t sleep!! #wounded #cantbelieveilost #playedterrible #didntdeservetowin” – at 3.30am later that night.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 4 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 5 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 6 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 7 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 8 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 9 Man who died in road crash is named
- 10 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream