SNOOKER: No Crucible outing for Joe Perry after disappointing qualifying defeat
- Credit: Archant
Joe Perry has failed to qualify for the Betfred World Championships for just the second time since 2004 after suffering a humiliating defeat to the world number 82 in the second round of qualifying last night.
The Chatteris cueman led 6-4 against Akani Songsermsawad at Ponds Forge in Sheffield but the Thai rattled in five straight frames to put Perry on the brink of a shock exit in their first-to-10 clash.
Perry reduced the arrears by winning the next three, but Songsermsawad clinched the final frame 77-4.
The 42-year-old was forced to qualify after slipping down the world rankings to 19th, and later took to Twitter to vent his frustrations at what has been a poor campaign.
“Well, that performance pretty much sums up my season apart from a couple of highs! Lots of work needed in the close season!” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Really can’t keep playing like this, worst season for a long time standard wise! Changes needed!”
He also tweeted: “Can’t sleep!! #wounded #cantbelieveilost #playedterrible #didntdeservetowin” – at 3.30am later that night.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 10 Have your say on Mepal crematorium plans - but be quick