SNOOKER: No Crucible outing for Joe Perry after disappointing qualifying defeat
- Credit: Archant
Joe Perry has failed to qualify for the Betfred World Championships for just the second time since 2004 after suffering a humiliating defeat to the world number 82 in the second round of qualifying last night.
The Chatteris cueman led 6-4 against Akani Songsermsawad at Ponds Forge in Sheffield but the Thai rattled in five straight frames to put Perry on the brink of a shock exit in their first-to-10 clash.
Perry reduced the arrears by winning the next three, but Songsermsawad clinched the final frame 77-4.
The 42-year-old was forced to qualify after slipping down the world rankings to 19th, and later took to Twitter to vent his frustrations at what has been a poor campaign.
“Well, that performance pretty much sums up my season apart from a couple of highs! Lots of work needed in the close season!” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Really can’t keep playing like this, worst season for a long time standard wise! Changes needed!”
He also tweeted: “Can’t sleep!! #wounded #cantbelieveilost #playedterrible #didntdeservetowin” – at 3.30am later that night.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police