Sparta ABC boxer Eryk Ciureja, 13, becomes ABA national champion
- Credit: Archant
Eryk Ciureja has exorcised last year’s demons and become a national champion.
The 13 year-old Sparta ABC boxer beat Shane McCauley by unanimous decision in the ABA England Boxing School Championships final (under 37kg) in Sheffield.
It was a complete contrast to last year, when Ciureja lost in the final in controversial circumstances.
Neale-Wade student Ciureja is Sparta’s second national champion this year, following in the footsteps of Reece Oldfield.
On the night, in front of a crowd of 500 people. Ciureja was instantly at home. He dominated the first round, toying with McCauley. His rasping left hooks, straight punches and counter punches all found their mark.
You may also want to watch:
The second round was a closer affair. McCauley fought hard to get back into the bout, but Ciureja again did enough to take it.
The final round was a repeat of the first - Ciureja was in complete control as his class shone through.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
Gary Oldfield, of Sparta ABC, said: “It was a very emotional moment (when the result was announced). There were plenty of tears, especially after last year.
“We are only a small club, so to have two national champions is unbelievable, unreal. Many clubs go a lifetime without one.
“Thanks to Liam Finlay for all the sparring he’s given to Eryk in preparation for the tournament.”
Ciureja’s triumph should see him earn an England call-up for the Tri-Nations.
Coach Matt Lenton said: “It’s brilliant to have two national champions in our midst. Hopefully we’ll go on to get more.”