Sparta ABC boxer Eryk Ciureja, 13, becomes ABA national champion
- Credit: Archant
Eryk Ciureja has exorcised last year’s demons and become a national champion.
The 13 year-old Sparta ABC boxer beat Shane McCauley by unanimous decision in the ABA England Boxing School Championships final (under 37kg) in Sheffield.
It was a complete contrast to last year, when Ciureja lost in the final in controversial circumstances.
Neale-Wade student Ciureja is Sparta’s second national champion this year, following in the footsteps of Reece Oldfield.
On the night, in front of a crowd of 500 people. Ciureja was instantly at home. He dominated the first round, toying with McCauley. His rasping left hooks, straight punches and counter punches all found their mark.
The second round was a closer affair. McCauley fought hard to get back into the bout, but Ciureja again did enough to take it.
The final round was a repeat of the first - Ciureja was in complete control as his class shone through.
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
Gary Oldfield, of Sparta ABC, said: “It was a very emotional moment (when the result was announced). There were plenty of tears, especially after last year.
“We are only a small club, so to have two national champions is unbelievable, unreal. Many clubs go a lifetime without one.
“Thanks to Liam Finlay for all the sparring he’s given to Eryk in preparation for the tournament.”
Ciureja’s triumph should see him earn an England call-up for the Tri-Nations.
Coach Matt Lenton said: “It’s brilliant to have two national champions in our midst. Hopefully we’ll go on to get more.”