Sparta ABC prospect Ciureja, 11, wins Eastern Counties final - now he’s got ABA national crown in his sights
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC Kacper Ciureja is three wins away from becoming an ABA National Champion.
The 11 year-old beat John Cunningham of King’s Lynn by unanimous decision to become Eastern Counties champion in Wisbech on Saturday.
The exciting prospect, who extended his record to six wins in seven contests, dominated the bout. He even forced a standing count in the second round.
To earn his place in the final, Ciureja clinched a hard-fought split decision win over Liam Jesse of Chavaldon.
Coach Matt Lenton said: “Kacper boxed extremely well. For someone so young to produce such ann accomplished performance is very pleasing.
“He is definitely someone to follow in the future.”
If he were to clinch the ABA crown, he would follow in the footsteps of fellow club boxer Reece Oldfield, who became a national champion in March.
- 1 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 5 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Man charged following Peterborough murder
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
Kacper’s brother Gracjan lost by split decision in a hard fought bout with Brent Barnby, of Trumpington, in the Mid Anglia Schoolboys final. It was a bout which could have gone either way.
Sparta ABC would like to thank all their sponsors for supporting the 5km fun run. They have now raised enough to pay for a van to transport the boxers to shows across the country.