Sparta ABC’s fantastic four land county and international glory
- Credit: Archant
Four of Sparta Amateur Boxing Club’s finest prospects stepped through the ropes last weekend and took county-wide and international success.
Starlets Richard Smith, Kacpar Ciureja, Grajcan Ciureja were in Eastern Counties action, while Polish prospect, Eryk Ciureja pulled on his gloves in Krakow for the Krakow District Championships.
Back on home soil in Sudbury last Friday, 12-year-old Smith was taking part in his fourth fight of a promising career against a more experienced fighter, but the youngster turned in an inspired performance to take a unanimous points victory and be crowned Eastern Counties Champion.
The fight was evenly poised after the first round, but Smith grew into the bout in the second, landing a number of neat punches which wobbled his opponent.
Smith remained composed in the final round and sealed an impressive victory, taking his record to three wins and one loss.
You may also want to watch:
Kacper Ciureja also stepped into the ring in Sudbury, and performed majestically against an opponent of similar stature; not allowing his opponent near him and landing a number of set-piece moves as he eased to a tenth career win.
His brother, Grajcan, also experienced Eastern Counties success, taking his first ever title after boxing superbly in all three rounds.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 5 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 6 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 7 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 8 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre’s work with all three boys was evident in the Sudbury show as Grajcan rocked his opponent with solid combination punches on his way to his first ever county crown.
Elsewhere, Eryk Ciureja continued his quest for European glory by storming to victory in the Krakow District Championships in Poland.
The youngster took on the reigning District champion last weekend, and the crowd was left shocked at Ciureja’s speed and ferocity as he tore into his opponent and took the victory after three rounds.
Matt Lenton, who travelled to Poland with Ciureja, was delighted with his club’s fighters. He said: “All the lads did extremely well and I’m really proud of Eryk’s achievements.”
“We’ve had a superb season; winning six Eastern Counties Championships and seven Mid-Anglian Championships.”