Sparta ABC’s fantastic four land county and international glory
- Credit: Archant
Four of Sparta Amateur Boxing Club’s finest prospects stepped through the ropes last weekend and took county-wide and international success.
Starlets Richard Smith, Kacpar Ciureja, Grajcan Ciureja were in Eastern Counties action, while Polish prospect, Eryk Ciureja pulled on his gloves in Krakow for the Krakow District Championships.
Back on home soil in Sudbury last Friday, 12-year-old Smith was taking part in his fourth fight of a promising career against a more experienced fighter, but the youngster turned in an inspired performance to take a unanimous points victory and be crowned Eastern Counties Champion.
The fight was evenly poised after the first round, but Smith grew into the bout in the second, landing a number of neat punches which wobbled his opponent.
Smith remained composed in the final round and sealed an impressive victory, taking his record to three wins and one loss.
Kacper Ciureja also stepped into the ring in Sudbury, and performed majestically against an opponent of similar stature; not allowing his opponent near him and landing a number of set-piece moves as he eased to a tenth career win.
His brother, Grajcan, also experienced Eastern Counties success, taking his first ever title after boxing superbly in all three rounds.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 9 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 10 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre’s work with all three boys was evident in the Sudbury show as Grajcan rocked his opponent with solid combination punches on his way to his first ever county crown.
Elsewhere, Eryk Ciureja continued his quest for European glory by storming to victory in the Krakow District Championships in Poland.
The youngster took on the reigning District champion last weekend, and the crowd was left shocked at Ciureja’s speed and ferocity as he tore into his opponent and took the victory after three rounds.
Matt Lenton, who travelled to Poland with Ciureja, was delighted with his club’s fighters. He said: “All the lads did extremely well and I’m really proud of Eryk’s achievements.”
“We’ve had a superb season; winning six Eastern Counties Championships and seven Mid-Anglian Championships.”