Sparta ABC’s fantastic four land county and international glory
- Credit: Archant
Four of Sparta Amateur Boxing Club’s finest prospects stepped through the ropes last weekend and took county-wide and international success.
Starlets Richard Smith, Kacpar Ciureja, Grajcan Ciureja were in Eastern Counties action, while Polish prospect, Eryk Ciureja pulled on his gloves in Krakow for the Krakow District Championships.
Back on home soil in Sudbury last Friday, 12-year-old Smith was taking part in his fourth fight of a promising career against a more experienced fighter, but the youngster turned in an inspired performance to take a unanimous points victory and be crowned Eastern Counties Champion.
The fight was evenly poised after the first round, but Smith grew into the bout in the second, landing a number of neat punches which wobbled his opponent.
Smith remained composed in the final round and sealed an impressive victory, taking his record to three wins and one loss.
You may also want to watch:
Kacper Ciureja also stepped into the ring in Sudbury, and performed majestically against an opponent of similar stature; not allowing his opponent near him and landing a number of set-piece moves as he eased to a tenth career win.
His brother, Grajcan, also experienced Eastern Counties success, taking his first ever title after boxing superbly in all three rounds.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre’s work with all three boys was evident in the Sudbury show as Grajcan rocked his opponent with solid combination punches on his way to his first ever county crown.
Elsewhere, Eryk Ciureja continued his quest for European glory by storming to victory in the Krakow District Championships in Poland.
The youngster took on the reigning District champion last weekend, and the crowd was left shocked at Ciureja’s speed and ferocity as he tore into his opponent and took the victory after three rounds.
Matt Lenton, who travelled to Poland with Ciureja, was delighted with his club’s fighters. He said: “All the lads did extremely well and I’m really proud of Eryk’s achievements.”
“We’ve had a superb season; winning six Eastern Counties Championships and seven Mid-Anglian Championships.”