Sparta’s golden boy Eryk Ciureja, 15, eases to National Amateur Boxing Championships crown - his second national title
- Credit: Archant
Sparta Amateur Boxing Club talent Eryk Ciureja is in the form of his life.
That is the view of coach Matt Lenton after the 15-year-old put in the best performance of his blossoming career to take the National Amateur Boxing Championship crown.
The Fenland fighter saw off the challenge of a fighter he had previously defeated to secure his first national title two years ago to lift a second strap and cement his place at the top of the amateur rankings.
Ciureja breezed through the opening four rounds of the competition, brushing aside the UK’s top two seeds to set up a meeting with old foe, Shane McAuley of Shilton in Bristol last Sunday.
And the youngster continued his fine form in the final, showcasing his skilful approach against McAuley who simply couldn’t handle Ciureja’s speed and accuracy.
You may also want to watch:
Young Eryk bamboozled the Shilton starlet with his footwork and even swapped to Southpaw as he eased to a unanimous decision victory, and the Fenland prospect was pleased with his impressive performance.
“It was a really good fight,” he said.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 7 Alcohol licence objections over noise and disturbance concerns
- 8 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 9 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
“All the preparation and work I’ve done in the gym with my coach has really paid off.”
And his coach, Matt Lenton, was full of praise for the young fighter.
He said: “Eryk boxed exceptionally well. He’s in the best form he’s been in over his whole career.
“To win two national titles at the age of 15 is fantastic and I’m very proud of his achievements.
“Hopefully he can continue his form into the season.”
Ciureja, who now boasts an impressive amateur record of 21 wins and eight defeats from 29 fights, will step back into the ring in the New Year at Sparta’s home show on January 28.