Squires wins March Squash Club’s marquee Robert Lefevre Handicap tournament
- Credit: Archant
Mark Squires edged out Gig Garner in a thrilling final to win March Squash Club’s annual Robert Lefevre Handicap tournament.
Veteran Garner showed all his experience to take the first game with ease before Squires changed tactics and came through as a 2-1 winner.
The tournament was sponsored by Datashredders and the prizes were presented by Ed Lefevre and his young son Harry.
Lefevre said, “The pre Christmas handicap tournament is a club highlight. It was really good to see that the handicapping worked well, and gave everyone an equal chance of winning. Good for the club and good for the game”.
It is an exciting time for the club - they intend to invest in new heating and court refurbishment.
Chairman Julie Taylor said: “We are one of the best supported clubs in Cambridgeshire and current league county champions. “Membership is rising and new members playing squash or racketball are warmly welcomed.”
Open club nights take part on Monday evenings. For more information, go to www.marchsquashclub.org.uk
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road